Vanua Levu

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Gaby

Vanua Levu

Anybody could tell us anything about this island?
And what is close to it?Any ideas as to what we could do around there?
How is the ocean?Do they have white sandy beaches?We live in the US,but are from Brazil and we are certainly scared to get there,and not find those wonderful beaches where we can lounge in all day..
Also,does anybody know if I could find colourfull fabrics to bring home?
I would appreciate any help,since we are booking to go on the 2nd week of September,and have no idea about what we`ll find.
We`ll stay at the Cousteau resort..Also,any feedback on it?
Thank you very,very much for any help
Gaby

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:00 PM
ALF

Vanua Levu is the Fijian island immediately east of the main island of Viti Levu (here's a map: http://www.fiji-islands.com/fijimap.html). The south side of Vanua Levu has several nice small sandy beaches that lead to a fairly shallow lagoon. Beyond the reef that shelters the lagoon on the south side is the Somosomo Strait, between Vanua Levu and the nearby island of Taveuni. The diving in the Strait is fantastic, with all sorts of wonderful formations, soft corals, and fish. Most people who go to Vanua Levu stay at one of the resorts along the south coast, then take diving, windsurfing, swimming, and hiking excursions from there. The small town of Savusavu is a bit sleepy, but there are some interesting restaurants and bars. Labasa is much bigger and kind of interesting, with a large (Asian) Indian population. I think that its interesting to rent a car and take the hilly road between Savusavu and Labasa, as well as the Hibiscus Highway, which runs through coastal coconut plantations.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Gaby

Wow!!You seem to know everything about the island.Thank you sooo much..
As I said before,we`re staying at the Cousteau resort,do you happen to know anything about it?
Do you think I`ll be able to find any interesting,colourfull fabric to bring home?
Thanks for the answer

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
ALF

I know where the Cousteau Resort is, and have passed it on a boat. It looks quite beautiful, with a narrow but nice beach. The grounds and buildings were very attractive. I don't know much about fabrics, but there are a couple of fabric stores in Labasa.

Al

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Geoff

I lived in Fiji before Cousteau was built, but know of the location. Since you'll be at Cousteau, you'll be at their beach and have your excursions mostly planned through them. (the location is not exactly in the middle of a town) You'll have a good time from all the reports of the resort.

I can answer the fabric question - by all means you can buy nice material there. Lambasa would be a good place, as would any of the bigger cities - Suva, Nadi, Lautoka. The labor cost is not so high so there are a good number of tailor shops and fabric shops to supply them. (the quality is excellent by the way, very skilled) Any one of these shops would be able to get you what you want - particularly some of the fabrics used in the saris for the Indian population would be colorful. And any number of general fabrics would work. (although it's easy to pick up one of those gaudy Hawaian style shirts, I can't recall every seeing the fabric when my mom went shopping for something in Suva - doesn't mean they don't have it but as something that would be colorful, I don't recall it)