Uluru in January a mistake?

Dec 15th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Uluru in January a mistake?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some feedback on an upcoming trip to Australia in January. I have about two weeks that I plan to split primarily between Melbourne and southeastern Australia, and the Cairns/Gold Coast/Brisbane area. One of the other things I really wanted to do was make the trip out to Uluru for a few days, but I'm wondering if the heat in January will make it not enjoyable.

I'm not easily intimidated by hot weather; I've just returned from four months backpacking in the sweltering heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but I've heard the exposure and dryness of the Red Centre can be pretty unbearable. So, I don't mind heat to a certain extent, but if it's going to be really unpleasant, there's so much else to see in Australia and maybe Uluru is best saved for another trip.

Alternatives for me would be something like Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, or more time in Cairns or some time in Adelaide or the Barossa Valley. Very open to other suggestions on any of this, though Melbourne is a must for me. I'm a big tennis fan so I want to be there from the tournament, but other than that, I'm not set on this itinerary.

I'm 23, female, traveling alone. I'm planning to rent a car in these places so driving doesn't intimidate me, and I'm traveling on a mid-level budget. I'm fine splurging on a great hotel or something really amazing in one location if I can travel on the cheap everywhere else.

Thanks!
Dec 15th, 2015, 04:31 PM

January isn't the perfect time to be in our top end - what's not dry heat (Uluru) will have stingers & high humidity & the possibility of cyclones (Cairns, GBR).
That's not to say either is impossible - but better another time if you can swing it.

BTW it's about 1700 kms Brisbane to Cairns. Add another 100 kms for the Gold Coast, which is south of BNE.

I'd look at Kangaroo Island or Tasmania. KI works well with Adelaide & the wine valleys; Tasmania is just a short hop from Melbourne, which also has some great wine growing areas nearby.
Dec 15th, 2015, 06:20 PM

It sounds as if a return visit to Australia is in your plans, so I also suggest that you save your trips to Uluru and to Cairns for another time. Why spend the time and money to visit those places when conditions will be at their worst?

On the other hand, January would be a great time of year to visit Adelaide/Barossa Valley/Kangaroo Island (been there, done that). And, as Bokara suggests, Tasmania would be an excellent place to visit too, especially since you will definitely be in Melbourne anyway.
Dec 15th, 2015, 06:30 PM

With only 2 weeks, the pairings we've suggested would give you the opportunity of a good glimpse at 4 different areas, which are not so far apart that you'd spend an inordinate time travelling.

Come back in our winter & go north & west then.
Dec 15th, 2015, 09:00 PM

Hi abchase,

Agree with suggestion to save the north for another time.
You need to note that January is school holiday time in most states so finding accommodation might be a challenge in Tasmania and on Kangaroo island.
Travelling alone should make it simpler but i would decide on destinations and check things out now.
I have had some trouble organising Tassie accommodation this last week - but for 5 people not a solo traveler so all the best with your planning and travel.
Dec 16th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks very much for all your input. Really appreciate your advice.

Think I will stick to the southern part of Australia this trip. Two weeks is barely enough time to scratch the surface, so seems wise to stick to a smaller area anyway and enjoy a part of the country that will be nice that time of year. As I'm only 23, I certainly hope there will be a return visit!

My follow-up question would be, is Adelaide worth spending much time in given that I'll be in Melbourne or should I focus my time on Kangaroo Island/Tasmania/Barossa Valley, etc.? I realize Adelaide and Melbourne are unique cities and I love visiting cities, but at the same time, I don't want to shortchange the amazing Australian scenery.

I am strongly considering doing the whole drive along the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide, or perhaps just doing an out and back to Melbourne. Would appreciate any thoughts.

I'd originally cut Tasmania from my itinerary for time, but would be delighted to fit it in again. Thanks again, all the best!