Search

Two days in Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:19 AM
Bill

Two days in Melbourne

Help; I will have about two days to see Melbourne in my first trip to Australia before I start business. What do I need to do that won't wear me out after a long flight and a tough meeting schedule to follow. We'll be staying at the Park Hyatt Hotel. I'll then be traveling to Sydney for a meeting, but won't have much time there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:21 AM
Bill

I'll be going in Mid-October. Thanks, Bill

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:28 AM
Hans

First off, the Park Hyatt is very nice and you will enjoy it tremendously. Melbourne is one of those interesting cities that, in my opinion, does not have a lot of "must-sees" but is a very nice place to spend some time just walking around. The things I would recommend that you try your best to see are the Art Gallery which has a tremendous collection of art, including some very interesting aborginal art, a visit to the Old Melbourne Goal (our Jail) where Ned Kelly, a famous Aussie outlaw was held, a walk through the Botanical Gardens, a walk around Collins Street through the arcades and shops, take in the achitecture of some of the wonderful buildings, maybe catch the view of the city and environs from the top of the Rialto Tower then just relax and enjoy the amazing cafes and restaurants (If your an Olympic Buff, you can head to the Olympic Stadium and cricket grounds). Melbourne is an incredibly diverse city--if I am not mistaken, it has, for example, the largest Greek population outside of Athens!

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:03 PM
Peg

Bill, <BR>Just around the corner from your hotel is Brunswick Street. It is a unique street filled with alternative shops and cafes. It is one place we always take our international visitors to visit. Melbourne Zoo is only a 20 minute tram ride to visit. It has beautiful gardens and you get a close up look at some of the Australian fauna. <BR>From Parliment Station, catch a train to Williamstown Beach, stroll through this historic seaport to Nelson Place, from Gem Pier, catch the ferry across to St Kilda, then the tram along St Kilda Rd back to the city centre. <BR>Peg.

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 01:37 AM
janine

You will probably feel jet lagged but I would see the zoo(great stuff), Rialto tower, Botanical gardens, a tram ride to StKilda beach and peir and that is your day or two done! <BR> <BR>The great attractions are outside of Melbourne and travelling time is out for you - Great ocean road, Wilson's Prom and the Grampians are all for the two week tourist!

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 03:51 PM
Janet

Bill, <BR> <BR>Ok so Melbourne is just like any other big town in Australia but there is heaps to do just out of the city centre. <BR> <BR> <BR>Take a day trip down the Morington Penninsula to Sorrento, then catch the car and passenger ferry to Queenscliff. <BR>from there look around the Bellarine Penninsula before heading back through Geelong and back to Melbourne. <BR> <BR>Head off to the Dandenong Ranges and take a ride on the historic steam train "Puffing Billy". The scenery around here is just beautiful. If you want to see some Australian wildlife go to the Healseville Sanctuary. <BR> <BR>If you have to stay around the city centre there is still lots to see. Go down to St Kilda beach. Take a look around Albert Park, St Kilda Rd and the Shrine of rememberance. Take a tour around the MCG (Melbournes sporting mecca). Go to the Queen Victoria Market (make sure you arrive early) to see the diverse cultures we have. There is a free city circle tram which does a loop of the city and can give you an idea of the city. <BR> <BR>I could go on and on. <BR> <BR>Anyway have a great trip <BR> <BR>Janet <BR>