Search

Trip To Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip To Sydney

So I am planning a trip to Sydney in the summer and I thought it would be a good start to ask people what they feel is great to go check out. This is my first time there and I have no idea what to expect. I have family there who can bring me to the basic places like the Opera House, Zoo, and much more. But as someone who is going with friends, I also want to go places that we girls would really enjoy. Is there any good spots in Sydney to shop around. I also don't mind doing a bit of traveling, it will add to the fun and also pays off in looking around. Any suggestions would be great! Also any good places where you can get cheap UGGS, they are so expensive here in Toronto.
Thanks,
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM

When you say summer, is it the Down-Under summer (roughly November through March)? As an indicator, daylight saving time is Oct. 6 through April 6.

In Sydney you have to take as many ferry rides as you can - just for the heck of it, to nowhere in particular even - you will have no end of fun. Don't take the all-enclosed catamarans but the old-fashioned ones where you have the wind and sun in your face. They all leave from Circular Quay.

You probably want to get a MyMulti3 weekly ticket, it gets you on all buses and ferries, and on trains within a reasonable area.

A lovely and classy shopping location is the Queen Victoria Building (known as QVB) - google it! A fun shopping area is Paddy's Market near Chinatown. A premier souvenir shopping area is the Rocks, across Sydney Cove from the Opera House.

The Cross (short for "Kings Cross") area is big on entertainment, can be on the raunchy side, your family will fill you in. Lower George Street (from Town Hall down towards Central Railway) is another entertainment strip.

A day trip or - better - an overnight is recommended to the Blue Mountains, especially the Jenolan Caves - awesome! Go by coach, by train, or rent a car - I recommend www.Bayswatercarrental.com.au

See if your family is into night cricket - it can be a lot of fun but takes someone to instruct you or you won't have a clue about what you're seeing.

Swim between the flags in the open ocean, the lifesavers will watch you and spot you if you get pulled out by a drift.

Take a trip to Canberra - read up on it, very interesting history and layout, there's no city like it. Stay overnight, cheaper in Queanbeyan than Canberra. Then drive the country road towards the ocean and back up along the coast. Superb!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:42 AM

As an ex Sydney sider about to return with a couple of dedicated retail therapists I've been reminded that apart from the QVB other good shopping spots include the Galeries Victoria, across the road in George Street, Westfield Sydney (formerly Centrepoint) in Pitt St and the adjacent David Jones stores, the Strand Arcade, and, if you're out that way for the beach perhaps, Westfield Bondi Junction (which I'm told has even eclipsed the trendy high end Double Bay (aka "Double Pay"). For an intimate villagey shopping experience (also high end) take the bus in the city from Wynyard Park across the Harbour Bridge to Mosman.

Second michelhuebeli's recommendation for Canberra (where we've spent the last 20+ years) if you have the time. Depending on what's on in town - in summer avoid the Summernats burnout, er, car festival (2-5 Jan 2014) unless that's your thing- there can be decent rates for good accommodation in and around Canberra City (Civic) on the north side of the lake and around the southern part of the Parliamentary Triangle on the south side of the lake - on the north side check out properties such as Mantra on Northbourne,the ANU University House Hotel, and Aria at Dickson, and on the south side, serviced short stay apartments at Kingston, the Brassey and the Hotel Kurrajong at Barton, the Diplomat at Griffith, and further afield the Quality Inn at Woden, and Ibis Styles and Best Western Garden City Hotels at Narrabundah.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM

You might like to take afternoon tea somewhere; the Langham Hotel is a very fancy place ( http://sydney.langhamhotels.com.au/r...ernoon_Tea.htm ), or if you just feel like checking out a tea shop, The Tea Centre in the Glasshouse (off Pitt St Mall) is much less spendy. http://www.theteacentre.com.au

Definitely something to do with the girls!

Lavandula
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Another good area for shopping is Paddington; particularly the side streets: Glenmore rd near Oxford st, and the lower half of William st