Trip Itinerary Feedback

Dec 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Trip Itinerary Feedback

Hello Fodor Folk!

I’ve been lurking here for a bit and have found some really great information for a 2 week trip I’m planning for a group in their mid-20s looking for some adventures and a solid night life. I know the common theme here is not to do too much, but I figured that 3-4 days at each location would satisfy our short attention spans. Anyway, here is a rough draft of our itinerary slotted for September. Any feedback/advice/outrage is very much welcomed. Cheers!

Day 1 – Fly out of LAX at midnight
Day 2 – Land in Auckland at 8AM and site see
Day 3 – Canyoning
Day 4 – Site See
Day 5 – Travel to Sydney in the morning and site see (Opera House tour, Darling Harbour)
Day 6 – Day trip via train to Blue Mountains (National Pass hike?)
Day 7 – Site See in Sydney
Day 8 – Site see and then fly to Cairns in the afternoon.
Day 9-11 – 3 day GBR Scuba Diving boat trip
Day 12 – Site see in Cairns
Day 13 – Fly back to Los Angeles in the afternoon
Day 14 – Go to work and daydream about still being in OZ
Dec 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM

You have got it about right I think - just needs some fine tuning as to where to go and what to see and you are ready to roll. Don't miss Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney and go there on a ferry.
Dec 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Are you just going to Auckland or are you staying somewhere outside the city to go canyoning? It would be a shame to come all this way and just see Auckland.

In terms of sightseeing in Sydney, I wouldn't make a special visit to Darling Harbour. It's a tourist trap. There are better areas to walk around: Bondi to Bronte if you want to see the coast and beaches, Paddington/Darlinghurst for shopping and cafes.
Dec 30th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We definitely need to go out and see the animals, even if we aren't going to the outback, so the zoo sounds like a great idea, along with a stroll in the RBG.

As for Auckland, that will likely be our only stop before Sydney. I know there's a lot more to NZ than Auckland but the canyoning looked to tempting to pass up for this trip. The canyoning company will take us to either Blue Canyon or Sleeping God for a day of fun. I'll save the rest of NZ for my next trip (hopefully).

It also was brought to my attention that the Rugby World cup is during that time. Shame that we might not be able to squeeze in a match, but we'll see how it pans out.
Dec 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Have you thought about skipping Cairns and going to Heron Island for diving instead? My understanding is that the reef there is less spoiled, super-rich and far more accessible - it's one of the few tourist islands that's actually on the reef so you can snorkel around when you're not actually diving. I've been to Heron and loved it, and travelled three hours out in a boat to some pretty insubstantial starfish damaged reef off Port Douglas (but then that's not a three day dive trip, and I'm a snorkeller not a diver so your planned trip may be better). There's very little to see in Cairns - a day's sightseeing actually in Cairns is a terrible waste of time though you could get out into the surrounding country perhaps.

As divers you might enjoy the aquarium in Sydney, which is pretty sensational.

There's a terrific day walk from the Spit to Manly - bus to the Spit then ferry back to the city from Manly afterwards.
Dec 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM

That's interesting mbloggs, you travelled three hours out to some "pretty insubstantial starfish damaged reef off Port Douglas", do you mind sharing which boat you took? Obviously couldn't be a day trip if you spent six hours just getting to the reef and back.

monkified - there's a bucket of things do from Cairns on your Day 12, many rainforest trips, native wildlife spotting, assorted wildlife parks, tropical Botanical Gardens, Atherton Tablelands, hot air ballooning from Mareeba, sky diving, bungee jumping, white water rafting, if you're interested in Skyrail/Kuranda train, they run out of Cairns and nearby. If you just want an overview of the area can highly recommend a half day trip - Cairns Discovery Tour - www.cairnsdiscoverytours.com - very knowledgeable guides and terrific value at $65pp
Dec 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM

mbloggs, the reef is more accessable from Heron Island to it because Heron is a Coral Cay but Heron Island is not very accessable from any point in Queensland - it is also more expensive to get there and your point about there not being much in Cairns is about as incorrect as you could be. From Cairns and its surrounds there is a wealth of things to see and things to do and World Heritage rainforests, etc, etc and if you had 2 weeks it still would not be enough time. Perhaps you did not take the best trip out from Port Douglas but then you may have listened to someone like yourself with only a little knowledge of the area.