Search

Travellers' Cheques

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 12:19 PM
KC

Travellers' Cheques

I will be in Port Douglas for one week and Sydney for one week-should I buy travellers cheques for the trip? If not, what is the alternative? <BR> <BR>Will there be any trouble trying to cash them? Fees, etc? <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>KC

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Jen

We stayed in Sydney and PD recently and took traveller's cheques and didn't use them - much easier to use ATMs and credit cards. Plus - you get a much better exchange rate. You can take some for safety, but we definitely use the other methods to get $$. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, I can't advise you as to cashing them if you do take them.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 01:09 PM
John

KC: <BR> <BR>Jen is right. By all means, use the ATM's. They're everywhere and no fuss. <BR> <BR>John

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 11:37 PM
marg

You will have no difficulty finding ATMs in Port Douglas and Sydney, so my advice would be to mainly use ATMs but get in advance some Aussie dollars for use on arrival. If you decide to buy travellers' cheques, you will usually get a better rate cashing them at banks than your hotel. Hope you have a good holiday.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 06:54 PM
Mike

Definitely use ATM and credit cards. There are ATM machines on every street. You will find many ATM's in the airport so you can get some Aussie dollars to start there. I don't recall any fee even being charged on them on the Australian end. Amazing that I could access my money from half a world away for free, but from half a block in the US, I'm charged $1.50. Plus you'll feel rich when you see your much higher balance quoted in Australian dollars!