Search

Traveling in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling in Victoria

Hello,

A group of us will be visiting Victoria,(Melbourne, Rosebud, Mansfield, Fitzroy and Milton) Australia in November. Our team is racing in the Jetsprint Boat Finals in both Albury, NSW and Milton, Vic. Anyway, my question is driving... One of the places that we are staying is on the Mornington Pennsulia and the rental agent suggested that we get some kind of a pass to travel on the Highway. Can anyone explain what this is and how it works? We're from a small town in the Pacific Northwest, USA and are not familiar with toll roads. Any other driving tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Hi dellis31,

The pass that you are referring to is the Citylink e-tag. It's basically an electronic ticket that sits on your dashboard, and is scanned by cameras whenever you travel on one of the tollaways. It allows you to travel the Citylink tollways throughout Victoria. See website for details www.transurban.com.au. BUT if you are hiring a car it is most likely that it will have an e-tag already installed, so you won't have to do a thing (except for pay for the tolls when settling your rental bill!).
Having said all of this, I have lived in Melbourne all of my life and since the e-tag was introduced have not seen the need to have one installed. Aside from its rather hefty toll charges, there are great "free" roads which will get you to all the places you need to go! I am often travelling such roads to Rosebud and Mansfield. The only draw back is they take a little longer!

I hope this helps.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Hi again,

Also try: www.visitvictoria.com
www.citylink.com.au
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 12:49 AM

When you collect your rental car, just ask about the city link pass. All of the rental companies have a system for giving you either an e-tag or a day pass. There's no need to worry about it until you get here.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I will check out the websites. Can't wait to start our trip.