Train thru New Zealand

Nov 23rd, 2001, 03:42 PM
Patti

Train thru New Zealand

Hello again - In planning my trip, I've really been thinking of using the train in travelling throughout New Zealand in March. What suggestions might you have and does anyone have an idea as to the time it takes from Auckland to Wellington? I'd like to see the glacier, Milford Sound, Mt Cook and am looking for ideas and places to stop. Thanks again.

Nov 24th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Gregory

Hi,

Er, i do not think you will be able to travel the whole way by train.

Nov 24th, 2001, 09:26 PM
LizF

Train travel is very sparce in NZ and often does not go to anywhere interesting. Rent a car if you want to see the country especially if you wish to go to Milford Sound because at least you can stop overnight on the way instead of sitting on a bus for hours. Make sure you stay for a few days in Queenstown in the south island and see all around that area. Forget trains in NZ.

Nov 24th, 2001, 11:27 PM
ALF

I wouldn't go so far as tell you to totally forget trains. The Tranzalpine train is a wonderful trip across the South Island, from Christchurch to Greymouth. I would agree, however, that hiring a car would be a better choice. It will take the better part of a day to drive from Auckland to Wellington. Fox and Franz Josef glaciers are on the west coast of the south island, and Milford Sound is in Fiordland, just a bit further south. Cook is best approached from the east side of the Southern Alps. When in Fiordland, consider taking a cruise on the less well-known Doubtful Sound. If you are at all adventurous, I'd also recommend a guided walk onto one of the aforementioned glaciers.

Nov 25th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Kiwi Roy

Why not take the daylight railcar from Auckland to Wellington? You'll see a lot of the North Island that way. You would be wise to book well in advance because it usually is quite full.