Search

tours of oz - need advice

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tours of oz - need advice

my friend and I are considering flying to OZ summer 2008 and would like some suggetions for tours (we are in our mid 50's).
We would like a small group and would like to spend time in Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef and the Gold Coast (my brother lives there).
any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM

Have you thought about traveling on your own? It is so easy to do in Australia (especially since you have a brother living there that can help out) and you can see and do exactly what YOU (not the tour operator) want.
First, you might want to check out the dates for school holidays for the time you are considering and then try to work your trip around those dates. Everything is more expensive, more crowded and harder to book during school holidays. Next, you might look at the Qantas Airpass (if you are coming from the States). It offers airfare from LA to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane and then 3 internal flights for one price. It could an economical choice for you.
Finally, once you have your airfare booked, start looking at accomodations. There are lots of accomodations and lots of price ranges for the places you want to visit. Internet searches (and recommendations from your brother) will be a big help.
I've always enjoyed planning my own trip and perhaps you will too. Good luck and have a great time!
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:34 PM

You don't need a tour unless you like the camaraderie of a tour. Sydney has a great hop on hop off bus and walking is great there, plus the ferries. In Cairns (where you are closest to the GBR) you can take day tours to the Daintree and the reef, or tours of several days. Your brother could probably tell you about the Gold Coast. It is very fun to plan your own itinerary and the best place to do that is right here in the search feature. It is great and you will find loads of information on places to go and things to do and websites. Most day tours will pick you up at your accommodation so you won't have to drive if you don't want to.
Sally in Seattle
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

would prefer DIY but thought of a tour for the convenience. maybe we will rethink. you've given me some good suggestions.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM

nanabee,
When in Cairns and Sydney be sure to visit the higher country to the west where you will see a whole new landscape and much more wildlife.

There is always the option of short tours or even look at having your own guide. With two people this is often barely more expensive than a tour, more relaxed, personalised and hence enjoyable. Sometimes it is actually cheaper if you are doing a couple of days.