Tours in New Zealand

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tours in New Zealand

I'm going to be in NZ for the next month and was wondering anyone has an opinion on the organized (Kiwi Experience, etc) tours of the country. Renting a car ins't out of the question, but finances are limited. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 04:56 AM

I have checked into Kiwi Experience and you can expect a younger crowd. If you plan to do a stopover, be sure to let them know ahead of time. Most people on these trips want to spend their money on outdoor recreation (skydiving, bungy, and alcohol) and not on Five Star luxury hotels. Can you tolerate a hostel?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:32 PM

I"ve heard good things about it and saw many people getting on and off the buses.
As Wally says, mostly younger travellers.
I had a car, but was really watching my money, so tried hostels for the first time. They were great! Although I didn't stay in a dorm. I stayed in single rooms..great, and still cheaper than a hotel.
I'd say go for it if it is cheaper than renting a car. BUT I did enjoy the freedom of a car.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Hi - it's pretty easy to get around NZ just on the std coach network - and they have passes that allow you to stop off and get back on again (google intercity). There are also many small 'shuttles' - mini buses - that operate between areas of max tourist interest - ie Queenstown to West Coast glaciers.

I've travelled mainly that way on several occasions, but did once take the "Bottom Bus" to see the far south of the south island. No idea if it still operates - for you to check out. Also an alternative to Kiwi Experience is the Magic Bus (again, no idea if it still operates).

Just some pointers for further internet trawling.

Have fun. Lovely, lovely place!!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Kiwi Experience seems to be geared to the 18 to 25-year-old crowd; most reports I've read seem to indicate most of their passengers are mostly interested in getting drunk and sleeping around.

You might try Magic Bus or Flying Kiwi instead.

Lee Ann