Search

Top End or Tasmania?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top End or Tasmania?

We're currently planning our first trip to Australia. We'll have about 3-1/2 weeks total. I'm currently thinking that we'll spend 4 days in Sydney, then fly to Darwin for a week, then down to Cairns and the reef for another week, then back to Sydney and a visit to the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley, and home. We don't have time to see everything we'd like, and I'm torn about whether to spend time in the Top End or Tasmania - I don't think we can do both, and I'd rather not rush about. Which would area would Fodorites suggest, if you had to choose only one - Tasmania or Top End? I've already decided to miss the Red Center this time around, but am very conflicted about all the other possibilities. If we go to Darwin, we'll probably try to go early September in the hopes that it will be cooler; if we skip Darwin, we'll go to Tasmania in October or November. We're flexible with timing. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Maybe there is a way to prune your existing itinerary to fit both. Could you fly into Cairns and out of Sydney paring back the amount of time in Sydney and the amount of time in the air.

Another possibility you could drop the side trips from Sydney to the Hunter Valley and the Blue Mountains. The Hunter Valley is not especially scenic and I'm not a fan of wine from that region. I love the Blue Mountains and go often but I wouldn't put them on a 'must see' list for a first/one time international visitor.

One other consideration, a week is not really enough time to see Tasmania, you would have to choose your region.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi glorib226 -

Where specifically, in the top end are you considering? It's a vast area, covering three states.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM

While we didn't get to see all of Tasmania in our 5 or so days, none of us regret going in the least. We flew into Hobart and walked around quite a bit that afternoon and the Salamanca market the next morning before driving off to Launceston. We arranged a 3 day/ 2 night Cradle Mountain tour with an adventure type outfitter that reserves cabins right in the park amidst tons of wildlife right at your door. We did great hiking, wallaby, wombat, echidna, etc. sighting and stopped on the way back to Launceston at a rescue wildlife park and saw lots of devils, kangaroos and they had some koalas as well. The drives were scenic and while busy, we didn't feel rushed and would love to go back and take in more of Tas in the future. That's my 2 cents worth.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Susan7, thanks for your opinion re the Hunter Valley - duly noted. Melnq8, I had thought to visit Kakadu & Litchfield NPs, as well as stay a couple of nights in Darwin itself. Maybe that's too much to squeeze into a week. susncrg, Tasmania sounds wonderful, and one advantage to Tasmania is that it won't be sweltering hot!
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM

I've been to all the places you want to go several times (except for Tasmania which, unfortunately, I've only visited once). As Susan7 suggested, if you fly into Cairns, leave out some of the side trips around Sydney and depart from Sydney, you should be able to include both the Top End and Tasmania. (I'd hate to choose one over the other. They are both fantastic.)
Perhaps this proposed itinerary would help. It gives you 4 full days in Cairns (enough time to do the reef and the rainforest), 6 full days in the Top End (enough time to see Darwin, do a day at Litchfield and spend time at Kakadu or Katherine. I actually prefer Katherine because we loved going to Katherine Gorge, Edith Falls NP and the thermal springs.), 6 full days in Tasmania (which is not enough to see the whole island, but you can choose a couple of locations and see and do a lot), and finally 3 to 3.5 days in Sydney (which is a good amount of time to see the city itself).

Day 1--Arrive Cairns
Day 2-5: Cairns
Day 6: Travel to Darwin
Day 7-12: Top End
Day 13: Travel to Tasmania
Day 14-19: Tasmania
Day 20: Travel to Sydney
Day 21-23: Sydney
Day 24: Depart Sydney