Search

Tongariro Crossing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tongariro Crossing

I've read many books which say that the 10 mile Tongariro Crossing Hike is the best in the country. Any 1st hand opinons?

Keep in mind my wife is not a big hiker. Is this hike for the frequent hiker/nature enthusiast only? Or is the "casual traveller" capable and interested in the hike as well?

Also, any recommendations on lodging? We'll probably be in Napier/Hawke's Bay the day before. Can we leave early am from Napier, or should we stay overnight at/near Tongariro? Books said first come first serve)

Thanks,
Clark

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hi Clark
the 1-day crossing is a sensational walk in good weather, and a slog in bad weather so it's worth planning a few days around the National Park to ensure you get a good day. It's manageable by anyone who can walk round a golf course (the 3-day and 5-day walks are for the more hard-core trampers)

There are optional side walk/scrambles up Mt Ngauruhoe (which is tough) and Mt Tongariro (which is relatively easy) that your wife may want to give a miss to.

Basically you have no chance of making it from Napier in the morning. It's a 4-5 hour drive, the walk is much better done in the morning (the clouds roll over the mountaun tops in the afternoon) and the walk is not a loop so you have to get back to where you left your car.

Whakapapa village or National Park are the best accommodation options. If you fancy something different The Chateau at Whakapapa has walk up rates and specials that really bring the price down - failing that, there are numerous other options of hotels and motels in the area , and there are lots of other walks in the area.

Good Luck

Mike
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mike
This is great, detailed info!

Happy travels
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Gosh, I don't recall scrambling steeply down loose rock the last time I played golf.

There's another posting that describes the hike a few posts down, I think your wife should read it and decide!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM

mlgb
I stand by my opinion, hundreds of people do it every day in summer, most of it is flat, and there's a fair bit of boardwalk. When I did it in November there was everyone from pre-schoolers to eighty your old japanese tourists doing it.

How difficult did you find the walk ?

Mike
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM

We chose not to do the Crossing due to weather, but definitely stay in or next to the park.

There are companies that pick you up in the morning, drop you off at the trailhead, and pick you up again at the end. This is easier than parking at the trailhead.

If you choose not to do the Crossing, there are other lovely, shorter walks in Tongariro National Park. We did the Taranaki Falls Walk and really enjoyed ourselves.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM

It's a beautiful hike. I wouldn't exactly say it's like a walk around a golf course. If you're not used to climbing you'll just have to pace yourself. I started at Mangatepopo, yes there were school kids on the path but some of them were sitting there totally exhausted and I wonder if they ever actually made it up there. According to the map I still have it was an 475 meter(1550 ft.) climb over the south crater lip. You'll have another 225 meters(740ft) to get to Blue Lake, which is as far as I got. Doesn't look too terribly bad after that except going downhill a lot. The only flat part was up around the base of Ngauruhoe.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Thanks InFromtheCold for the details. Maybe MikeD plays Balmacewan Otago Golf Club. Love the hole with the cable tow for walkers.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM

In response to Clark's question "Is this hike for the frequent hiker/nature enthusiast only? Or is the "casual traveller" capable and interested in the hike as well?"

I said "it's MANAGEABLE by anyone who can walk round a golf course"
not "it's LIKE a walk round a golf course"

If some people would rather look at the scenery from a car or hotel room that's their choice - I personally prefer being amongst it all.
Similarly if you want to be facetious about an attempt to provide useful and pertinent information from first hand experience - that's your choice

Good Luck Clark with whatever you and your wife choose to do
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Back in 2000 Mrs T and I had a wonderful around the world trip, the highlight of which was 6 weeks in New Zealand.
We chose to do the longer Tongariro Northern Circuit, despite never having done anything more than a few walks in the Lake District as a warm up. The first day of the Northern Circuit is the same as the Crossing, and despite having to carry 15kilo packs with our food and bedding in them we found it very straightforward. The paths are well marked, we never 'scrambled' , even with the packs on our backs we were able to walk upright comfortably up and down the slopes. If you are worried about the slopes take some walking poles to help you balance.
I would say that anyone of average fitness in good walking shoes and with a rain jacket could complete the walk in the 7 or so hours given as a guideline.
We were so pleased with ourselves we walked the Inca Trail, and did the descent into the Grand Canyon later in our trip. Now those are hard walks.

Sorry for going on for so long, but to settle a bet with Mrs T that will decide who makes dinner
MLGP, have you ever been to Tongariro
and for double or quits , do you drive a s.u.v
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:15 PM

I've done Tongariro as well as Milford, Hump Ridge, Abel Tasman and a few others. I have never owned nor driven an SUV. I have a Mazda Protege. I'll leave you with the following extract from another poster for Mrs.G. Or is it Mrs. T?

A friend and I did the 17k hike last year basically in a blizzard. On the bright side it really did feel like we climbed Mt. Doom in Lord of the Rings, and we have one heck of a story to tell about it.

If you go in good weather it is still going to be a difficult climb, but you will get to see some amazing scenery and get lots of pretty pictures. As for the difficulty level, you begin the real hike with a 800m climb up a 35-55% incline over rough terrain. It was rough for two 25 year olds to climb it with a small day pack in 30 minutes. The rest of the climb is not difficult, other than walking along a 10 foot wide ithsmus for a few k up a slope made of volcanic ash and chipped gravel."

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:09 AM

From my original response....

the 1-day crossing is a sensational walk in good weather, and a slog in bad weather so it's worth planning a few days around the National Park to ensure you get a good day
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Mike D- For the record: I think you're original assesment was fair, clear, and concise.

Many thanks to all!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:07 AM

Can you do it in one day out of Taupo? Mid feb.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Yes, you can; just arrange transport to and from the track. Ask your hotel for a recommendation.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I mostly noticed that you said keep in mind my wife is not a big hiker, a capable and interested hiker will have a good time.