Search

Thames, New Zealand etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thames, New Zealand etc.

Hi all. My sister will be spending a few months living in Thames, NZ. I'd like to visit her, but I have no idea where to begin planning my trip. She will probably have a car, so hopefully we could venture out around New Zealand, but she'll be working, so I don't know how much time she'll have to travel -- we may have to base ourselves in Thames and do day trips on the days she has off. I may also have to amuse myself on the days she's working - is there anything to do in and around Thames without a car?

Given these restrictions, I'd appreciate any suggestions on locations, activities and things I should try to see and do. My sister is diving certified and I plan to get diving certified before I go, so I'd also like (if she can get a solid chunk of time away from work) to go to Austrailia and dive the great barrier reef. I'd also be up to any diving in NZ.

As you can see, I'm still at the very beginning stages of planning, but I appreciate any input and insights. Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM

You'll be conveniently near the Coromandel Peninsula, there should public shuttle or bus that can take you there, but very often the longer distance bus services are only once a day. Are you too young to rent a car?

As for Thames, it's a fairly nice small town, but after a few days you will be looking to get a bit farther.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm not too young to rent a car, but I'm squeamish about driving even when I know where I'm going, so I don't think I'm up for renting a car in another country. It's a very limiting hang-up, I realize.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Perhaps after you get there you'll change your mind. It isn't that hard especially outside of Auckland, Christchurch, & Queenstown. Just keep your body positioned over the centerline of the road.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Unlikely. Without going into my whole life history, I basically don't drive. I'd certainly prefer to plan a trip that doesn't require renting cars. I know that's going to limit me, but I'm OK with that.