Thailand/Indonisia/Or China

Apr 23rd, 1998, 07:32 PM
gordon

Thailand/Indonisia/Or China

I am planning a trip with a destination of Asia in mind. What is the best destination for an 9 day trip with two older kids, China, Taiwan, or Indonisia. Which is cheaper, interesting, comfortable.

Apr 24th, 1998, 05:31 PM
Kay

I haven't been to China, but I've traveled extensively in both Thailand and Indonesia. I'm not sure what kind of travel you've done or interests you have, but hands down, Indonesia is much more interesting, lovely, unspoiled, and less expensive. Don't miss going to Bali - it truly is paradise, and culturally, it's fascinating and magical. However, Java has it's pluses, too. Borododur is amazing and Joygakarta is a bustling city with lots to do. Thailand is fine, too. Lots to see and do and reasonable prices. But Indonesia is something special. Have a great trip.

Apr 24th, 1998, 10:07 PM
Betty

Hi, agree with Kay. I have been to all three countries and Indonesia wins hands down. Nine day is'nt a lot of time . I would spend some time in Bali and the rest in either east Java or Lombok. Both are really lovely places. Kay gave you the run down on east Java. Lombok is an island east of Bali - less touristy. If you go the Thailand way my suggestion would be only a few days in Bangkok ( busy and dirty) and head for either Chaingmai in the mountains to the north or the beach resor of Puhket in the south. Both are enjoyable allthough vastly different. China would be my last option. Beijing has a lot of places to visit of historical significance - Great Wall, forbidden city etc.

May 30th, 1998, 06:02 AM
Jo Harriet Haley

Both Thailand and Bali, Indonesia are great. I was there last summer with my son, 29 years old, and we both had a great time. If you go to Thailand (our favorite), spend just a couple of days in Bangkok, in a hotel on the river, and use the river taxis exclusively. Visit the Grand Palace area with the Emerald Buddha, the large golden Buddha, hire a river taxi to take you back into the area of homes on the river and the great Royal Barges. Then fly up to Chaing Mai which is a very interesting city, rent a car to tour north to Chaing Rai and Mai Sen, stop to ride the elephants. Another day take a tour where you can trek to some of the hill tribe villages. Get a Thai massage. Eat the wonderful Thai food. Then fly south to Pukett for the Thai beaches, the best in the world.
Bali is great too.
Either is a very good choice, and very economical. I can recommend hotels, etc. if you email me.

May 31st, 1998, 06:26 AM
tatiana

I saw your message about thailand & Bali. Will it be possible for you to recommend me few nice & economicals hotels in Bali ?

Jun 19th, 1998, 07:30 AM
TAnya Beech

I've been to China and Indonisia and will be travelling to Thailand this year. I personally think the sights in China beat the ones I've seen in Thailand but it is very hard work backpacking around china whereas Indonisia could not easier. Bali is okay but extremely commericalised. Lombok is as Bali probably was 10 years ago. With regards to cheap places to stay in Bali there are tonnes of them. Buy a lonely planet guide - it gives good ideas.