Search

Taveuni Beaches too Rocky?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Lisa

Taveuni Beaches too Rocky?

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts here. They have been very helpful to my fiance and I as we begin to plan our honeymoon in Figi. We will be going in August. <BR> <BR>I am interested in staying on Taveuni or Mantagi. I read somewhere that the beaches on Taveuni are not great because they are "rocky" and small. <BR> <BR>Is this true? <BR> <BR>Are the beaches in Montagni better? <BR> <BR>Also does anyone know anything about Maruvu plantation? It appears that it is directly across the street from Taveuni Island Resort. I think I would prefer Taveuni Island Resort over Maruvu if what I suspect is true: Maruvu is not on the beach while Taveuni Island Resort (Dive Taveuni)is?? <BR>Just a guess. <BR> <BR>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I have the "Figi Handbook" and have lost a lot of sleep spending time online at Figi sites! So at this point, any input would be great. <BR> <BR>By the way, neither my fiance or I are divers so we are basically just looking for a relaxing and beautiful place to stay. Close to waterfalls and lush flora and fauna. I think Taveuni would be best for this?? Just a tad concerned about the beaches. <BR>Any ideas? Thanks again <BR>Lisa

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Walu

At Low Tide many beaches in Fiji aren't that attractive. <BR>Mud flats and in some places rocks can predominate, this is true on Taveuni in some places. <BR>I can't comment on the specific places you mention as I haven't stayed at them. <BR>I will say though that Taveuni isn't called the Garden Island of Fji for nought. <BR>You want lush jungle, you want waterfalls, you want a paradise you got it(!) <BR>If what you want is miles&miles of sugary powder I suggest Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic instead. <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Louis

Since you are both divers, without question Matangi is the best place for you. It is a family owned private island which specializes in divers and honeymooners. My wife loved the island.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Louis

Sorry I missed the "not" in front of divers. I think you would still like Matangi better. We are not divers either but we do a lot of snokeling. Fiji is not a place of long sandy beaches. The best beaches I have seen are in the Tasawa chain but the islands there are dryer and do not have the lush gowth found on Taveuni or Matangi. The shore at Matangi is much nicer than anything I saw on Taveuni. Because of its small size and the amount of special attention that you can get, I still think Matangi is the best value that matches your needs. Vatulele perhaps is a better match from what I have heard if you can afford the price. We have not been there. You can ask about their special offer right now since tourism is off. I heard recently from friends of the owners that Matangi is doing much better than other places in Fiji and they are running about 65% full while some are at 20% due to the uncertain political situation. This should not be of worry to you as long as you carful around Suva or the more populated areas. Things have not changed much in the islands away from Viti Levu as you are more in a village atmosphere. If beaches are the primary interest then places like Harbor Island or Anguilla are better bet but these do not have lush growth. A place like Bora Bora has some of both.I don't think anybody would pick Fiji solely for its beaches but the shoreline tends to be nicer on the very small islands. I would not consider Taveuni having good swimming beach and I would be careful in walking around in the water in Fiji as there are dangerous things like lion fish. I always want fins and mask on to see what is around.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Lisa

Thank you so much for your advice and thoughtful posts. I really appreciate it. <BR> <BR>My fiance called Mantangi and it appears that they are booked until 3 weeks after our wedding. It is a bit of a conflict with our schedules so we may look at other places. <BR> <BR>I have also heard great things about Vatulele but I am afraid it may be beyond our budget. <BR>So, our search continues,but, your input has been very helpful. (Interesting/helpful to know that some places are running under occupancy.) <BR>Thanks again. <BR> <BR>Any other ideas regarding where to stay would be greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Else Baker

Dear Lisa: Have read of your interest in honeymooning in Fiji - requests for information on Taveuni and Matagi (which you say is booked until after your honeymoon). Take a look at the website for Qamea Beach Resort. www.qamea.com It is very near Matagi. Has a lovely beach. Just across the water from Taveuni (15 minute boat ride). We have been each year for the last 10 and plan to return for my husbands 85th birthday this summer. Each year meet honeymooners from around the world. Not the cheapest place in Fiji but not the most expensive either. I think you would like it. <BR> <BR>Else Baker

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Lisa

Thank you Else! We are seriously looking into Qamea. I greatly appreciate your time and input! Happy early 85th birthday to your husband! <BR>Lisa