tasmania free & easy

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 10:30 PM
chuan

tasmania free & easy

<BR>I'm interested to visit Tasmania during my october holiday. Can anybody give me advise on the accomodation, interesting places to visit etc?

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 03:42 AM
jay

To Chuan, <BR>Tasmania in October is very pretty, spring time. You did not mention how you are travelling , with family, single or companion??? <BR>I personally think hiring a car is good sense, as one can take 8 days to travel around the island, visiting such places, as Cradle Mountain, Strahn, hobart, Huonville, Port Arthur, Swansea, Bicheno Launceston, all these places have wonderful scenery and beautiful old colonial buildings. Accommodation can vary from hostel, Bed & Breakfast, to Motels, self catering villas, caravan parks and then the upmarket hotels+++. <BR>Hope this helps any further info please contact me on my email. <BR>regards jay. <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 12:52 AM
CHUAN

Thank you! Jay for your reply. I'm planning to visit Tasmania with my wife. As i am just starting my family, do you think five thousand dollars would be enough for the tour?( very embarassing!!!)

Old Aug 23rd, 1998, 12:01 AM
Michelle

To Chuan <BR>I am from Sydney and my husband and I went to Tasmania for a three week holiday in March 1994. We really loved it. I would agree that hiring a car is the best way to see the countryside. It is very beautiful and nothing is very far, you can see a lot in one day. We travelled all over Tas in three weeks (staying in some places for 2-3 nights). The east coast is very scenic, while the west coast is more rugged (still quite stunning!). The national parks have many great walks - Cradle Mountain is a must see. As well as the suggestions you have already had (which I agree with) I would add that you should stop into Freycinet National Park and take the walk around to Wineglass Bay and Hazzards Beach - simply beautiful. Maria Island is another place well worth a visit. If your budget allows, we took a one-day trip from Hobart into the South-West wilderness with Par Avion airlines. You can only get there on foot (seven day walk) or by flying. It was a day never to be forgotten. We had a very good book called 'Tasmania - walks, wildlife and wonderful food' by Libby Buhrich. It also had info on accommodation. I would highly recommend it if you can get it. I will give you more information on where we stayed and things we saw, if you email me details of how long you are staying and what things you like to do. I think $5000 should be enough (do you mean AUD$5000?). We found Tasmania quite reasonable when we were there, but it depends how long you are staying and whether your $5000 budget is to include your airfares/car hire. <BR>Michelle

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 02:36 AM
Mike

<BR>Michelle's suggestions were good (I live here, so can speak with some authority!) <BR> <BR>One tip though - bring clothes for every type of weather. October here includes every season imaginable! <BR>