Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Tahiti Or Mantangi Island For Honeymoon 4/23/2000??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 04:58 AM
Melinda

My fiance and I are trying to decide on where to go for our honeymoon. We want to go somewhere beautiful, a once in a lifetime type deal. We love to snorkel, adventure, romantic stuff. Any information and Ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are 24 & 26 and nightlife would be great but not highly needed. We are stuck between the 3 island honeymoon to Tahiti, Bora Bora, & Moorea or the honeymoon pkg. at the Mantangi Island Resort. Which would be more for our money? And make a memorable honeymoon? Thanks!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 08:48 AM
Tracey

My financee' and I are going to the Namale Resort in Fiji for our honeymoon. I hear that it is gorgous there. They have a packet in a travel book that is pretty reasonable (~2800pp) for 8 nights 5 days w/all activities, meals and beverages included.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 11:01 AM
Louis

We are familiar of all the islands that you have mentioned and have spent 9 nights at the Matangi Island Resort May 1998. If we were going to Tahiti we would choose only Bora Bora and the Bora Bora Hotel as a place to stay. For us it is the location of the hotel that make the improtant difference. We have only been to Bora Bora twice and not recently. The last time there the island was getting a little overcrowded and trashy. It was not the beautiful jewel that it once was. However, if you don't know the difference it is most likely still once of the most beautiful islands in the world. To get the maximum enyoyment out of Tahiti, it helps to speak french. The locals are not as friendly as they once were. At none of the locations that you have mentioned is there much of any night life and at Matangi you make your own. <BR> <BR>Today without question, we would choose Matangi. Not only is it an outstanding value but we like its intimate character and the people there are delightful. It however, will have divers, honeymooners and people that like a serene environment as other guests. Some may be repeat clients. Since they are very small they are apt to be booked. They have built a second treehouse, but we would still pick on the deluxe bures at the breezy end of the island at less money. It is a manner of taste. The tree house could be fun and it is a mannor of taste. What you see at their web site http://www.matangiisland.com is an accurate description of the resort. At somewhat more cost another post suggested Namale and I have never heard anything bad about it. I don't think you can go wrong in Fiji if you want a beautiful location, friendly english speaking people, and good food. There is however not much in the way of western type night life or entertainment. Matangi or Namale is a little more like luxury back to nature. If your e-mail address is valid, you will receive our trip report on Matangi.

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 11:05 PM
Austina De Bonte

Wow, Matangi looks really nice. Is a treehouse bure really worth it? I'm almost convinved--has anyone actually done it? <BR> <BR>We are looking for excellent snorkeling, but are not scuba divers. How is the snorkeling at Matangi? <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR>austina

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 04:32 PM
Louis

While we were at Matangi in 1998 we looked though one tree house and liked the deluxe bure where we stayed better at less cost. This was based our bure's size, construction, charm, and location. Snokeling is relative to your point of reference. Ours extended over many parts of the world for the past 35 years. Things are not getting better anywhere. I think the snorkeling was average in front of the resort but better than you will find on a Blue Lagoon Cruise in the Tasawa chain. Some of the canyons and coral formations I saw from one of Matangi's dive boats was the best I have ever seen. They were better than anything I have seen off of Anegada in the BVI.