Tablelands self-drive tips please

Jul 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Tablelands self-drive tips please

We will be in Ellis Beach area for 4 1/2 days. Plan to go to the Reef one day (maybe wavelength) Rainforest day tour, last full day would like to take a scenic and fun road trip on the tablelands. My friends have 2 children 10/12 with them.

We will drive out of Ellis Beach and return in the evening (probably august 4th).

Any don't miss areas? Best route recommendations. I would like to see platypus if possible.

Mareeba Wetlands ? Yungaburra ? Malanda? Millaa Millaa? So many choices....

We are from California, so I see Yosemite Falls often. How are the Tableland falls on scale of 1-10?

Thanks.
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM

myst

To see the platypus it is best very early am or evening. Yungaburra is a nice spot for seeing platypus plus also the curtain fig tree which is amazing.

The falls on the circuit are not major falls in anyway, but by Australian norms, are very accessible. Small and picturesque should be considered part of the journey rather than a destination in themselves. If you start via the Kuranda Rd you can stop and see the Barron Falls, which when have some good water flowing would probably rate but the others are just nice little stops.

The southern end of the tablelands, the last few times I have been have been impossibly green and impossiby beautiful. The first time I went they had been less rain so not as impressive, but usually gorgeous lush green countryside worthy a trip for the scenic pleasure alone.

Jul 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM

A good drive would be from north to south exiting on the Bruce Highway and returning via the highway just north of Innisfail. Would perhaps be a 2 hour drive to Ellis Beach so perhaps too much in one day.
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Two hours does not sound too, bad. I've never been to Australia and I love scenic drives...with little stops at quaint places to taste the local treats. We are all pretty adventurous under 40 types (some of us barely - lol). But definitley want to get a little flavor of the area.
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Only a day to see the Tablelands?! I suggest that you head up nice and early heading out to Granite Gorge where you can see the very cute Mareeba Rock Wallabies. From there drive on to Atherton to Hasties Swamp for the water birds. Continue south to the Crater, a huge volcanic hole in the ground and surrounded by high altitude rainforest. From there to Millaa for lunch and a look at the falls.These are not huge but very scenic. A web serch is bound to throw up a picture of them. Head north again through Malanda to either Lake Eacham or Lake Barrine. The latter if you want to do the cruise, the former for a swim. At Yungaburra have a look at platypus before dinner followed by a nocturnal tour to see tree-kangaroos and possums. The kids will sleep on the drive back to your accommodation.