Sydneypass?

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydneypass?

I am leaving for Australia next week with my wife and two teen age children. We will be in Sydney for five nights. Is the purchase of Sydneypass worthwhile. We have never been to Sydney and plan on doing extensive exploring.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Sorry - hit the "enter" button too soon.

At $275 for a family 3 day pass, I would think you'd need to use it a fair amount to get your full value. However, it would depend on what you want to see & where. And, I must say, I'm not aufait with current bus, train & ferry fares, so someone else might be able to give you better advice.

A lot of Sydney's attractions are roughly within the CBD and I'd normally walk more than take transport.

Enjoy your trip
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I'm looking at the City Rail brochure that we used in October 2006 to decide which travel services would be best for us. Like you, we wanted to do extensive exploring by bus, train, and ferry while we were in Sydney.

We bought the Red TravelPass for A$41 per person, which covered unlimited travel by train, bus and ferry for a week. This easily covered all the travel we wanted to do in the CBD and Manly (where we stayed for a few nights) Red + Green zones. It covered some of our trip to the Shrewsbury River as well. It didn't cover the Manly JetCat. If you don't plan to ferry to Manly as many times as we did, you can get a pass for the Red zone for $33/week. Fares may have increased a bit since we were there. Passes are available from most CityRail station ticket offices. Spend some time at www.cityrailinfo. I just noticed there is a family day pass:

"Family fares
The Family Fare deal has been created to make it extremely affordable for families to see Sydney by public transport.

When at least one fare paying adult travels with their children or grandchildren, the first child travels for a child fare and the other children travel free. This includes DayTripper and CityHopper tickets."

We loved the freedom of hopping on the bus, train or ferry whenever we wanted. We even ferried a couple of times at night from Manly to Circular Quay just for coffee and (of course) the view!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Topping for maualpt...
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Oops, make that manualpt. A new Fodorite who may not know how to retrieve posts.