Sydney to perth

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Sydney to perth

I'd like to know if anyone has done a road trip from sydney to perth. are there any interesting places on the way to stop over??
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hi there,

In my opinion once you have passed Adelaide there is not a hell of a lot to see until you get to the outskirts of western Australia. Why not drive to Adelaide and then fly from Adelaide to Kalgoorie or Esperance (or somewhere close with an airport) and then drive up passed Albany, Pemberton and up the coast to Perth?

Just a thought!

Lina
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Hi, austindc!

I asked that same question once of a guy who had been posted in Perth and was engaged to a girl in Sydney, so he used to do the drive -- both ways -- every time he had a week off. "Any interesting things to see?" I asked. His answer was, "Well, half way across the Nullarbor, there's a tree". I'm not sure that he wasn't joking!

No personal experience in this opinion, but.... take advice from Lina88.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Haven't done a road trip before but know a guy who drives Adelaide to Perth (takes him 3 days-leisurely) and honestly, nothing to see!!

I back the idea of driving to ADL and then flying out of ADL to Perth. Check out Qantas, Virgin and the new budget airline which I can never remember its name. The price varies tremendously so do keep checking regularly. Or else you will have to end up paying something like A$300 plus.

If you are taking the Sturt highway via Sydney to ADL, I recommend stopping at Banrock Station winery (keep eyes peeled for the signboard.I think it's about 1/2 hr after Renmark towards ADL) It serves yummy bush tucker ( at reasonable prices) and the view from their deck is breathtaking!! Wonderful lunch stop.

Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:41 PM

You could travel SYD-ADL via Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, which gets plenty of recommendations on this board; or you could head west after crossing the NSW/Victoria border with a view to visiting the historic Murray River port of Echuca. Whatever, I'd definitely spend some time in and around Adelaide.

Alan, I think the name "Nullarbor", which sounds vaguely Aboriginal, is in fact derived from the Latin for "no trees". Maybe the namer missed that that tree.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Spot on, Neil! Most people assume that 'Nullarbor" is an aboriginal word, and I have even seen it spelled "nullabor" in books (trying to make an aboriginal word out of it); but Latin it most certainly is. And, from what I hear, it might have been called, not merely "no trees", but "not much of anything" (whatever that might be in Latin!)
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Terra Nullius? I'm afraid my foray into Latin at school was brief and not very distinguished.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM

We have travelled Perth to Melbourne a few times. Basically between Esperance or Kalgoolie to Ceduna, there isn't much to see. If you are Australian, then it is worth doing, just to have done it. Balladonia roadhouse has a small but interesting museum. There is a whale watching lookout a few kms from Nullabor (the roadhouse). At Eucla you can see the old telegraph station (or what remains of it). There are roadhouses about every 300 km for food, petrol and accommodation. Be aware that there are quarantine stations at Ceduna (travelling eastwards) and Border Village (travelling westwards) who will take all fruit, most vegetables, flowers, nuts and honey.
If you are travelling from overseas, I would suggest flying Perth to Adelaide then following the Murray as far as Echuca then cutting across to the Hume Highway and into Sydney.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

As long and "boring" as it could be in places such as the Nullarbor, I think a drive across Australia from Sydney to Perth would be a great adventure. I hear there are intentionally placed kinks in the road across the Nullabor to add some variety for drivers (or at least to get those that are asleep off the road). Also I know (Guiness Book of Records, I believe) that the longest section of perfectly straight railroad track is on the Nullarbor - something like 500 km. If I were to do the trip, I'd definitely do Melbourne-Adelaide on the Great Ocean Rd for spectacular scenery and then head west across the Nullarbor to experience the vast emptiness of the outback. If I had the time (and I would need a lot of it!), I'd return to Sydney via the northern route through the rugged Kimberley region, the Northern Territory and western Queensland. Some day.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Right you are Ralph, the longest stretch of straight track is indeed in the Australian desert. I traveled on the Indian Pacific train from Sydney to Perth. I recall that stretch... it went on and on. And, Alan, I recall that TREE!

I enjoyed my train trip, but I was seeking peace and quiet to do some work on a book, and that was the perfect place to be. The scenery was not distracting as there was nothing to see! The folks on the train were very friendly, when I wanted to leave my compartment for a while and chat.