Sydney-Safe, easy to get around?

Jun 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Sydney-Safe, easy to get around?

Planning first trip to Australia, and really don't know too much about Sydney since I come from the U.S.
Are the neighborhoods fairly safe, and is there a good subway/bus system to use to get around? Safe at night?
Thanks!
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:43 PM

It's pretty safe - as long as I'm not on the roads!

Good public transport system (trains, buses, ferries, light rail) in the city and inner suburbs; a bit dodgy in the outer suburbs - but that shouldn't affect you. As a tourist, a car is a liability in Sydney.

There are some areas to avoid at night, but tourists are unlikely to frequent those anyway.

Sydney is a city of about 4 million people - with all that goes with it. A great location, though - and the people are cgarming <always some exceptions>
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM

You shouldn't have any more trouble than elsewhere regarding safety but where are you staying? In the city? We Sydneysiders complain about the transport system but it is pretty good really.You should be ok. Cheers!
Jun 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM

Gail. we are just back from Australia. $30AU weekly Red Pass or $40Au weekly Green pass.will get you anywhere you need to go: ferries, trains, buses. If you are downtown, walking will get you most places too. Ferries are a great inexpensive way to explore the harbour and see beautiful Sydney from the water.

AndrewDavid
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM

Agreement on the ferries, great way to get oriented and the rest of the public transport is easy as well.
Overall as a single woman traveling I felt safe, great people and since so many of them travel they are great to tourist for the most part. Just be careful around closing time at the bars and you should be okay.
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM

Gail, I don't think you will find Sydney any different from most other large cities in the US.
There are obviously some areas which would best be avoided after dark - in my opinion these would include the area around Central Railway Station and off the main streets of Kings Cross and of course in the any of the parks.
However, I am sure you won't have any problems as long as you are wary of those around you as is the norm these days.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses.