Reload this Page >

Sydney's Kings Cross ( dubious area)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Rick

I have heard and read "Kings Cross (dubious area)" but wonder why some people consider this part of Sydney so? I am helping a friend plan a trip and would appreciate any info, thanks. Rick

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Oscar

I was in Sydney in late '97 and stayed at the Millenium Hotel in Kings Cross. <BR><BR>I had a great time, i thought the location was good and close to the metro station.<BR><BR>I always felt safe.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Alan

Hi, Rick!<BR>I was in Harlem this time last year, and wondered exactly the same thing. I had a great time and never saw anything I wouldn't want my kids to see. If you stay on the main streets, where there are always hundreds of people, everything is open, and there's lots of bright lights, then you are simply staying in the liveliest part of Sydney. In the side streets, however, it's a different story.... and even the McDonalds had to close down their toilets because of the problem with clearing out the overdosers. If you are approached by someone who offers to rent you and your friend a room for thirty minutes, don't be surprised. I never recommend the Cross, but mainly because it's so damned inconvenient compared to so many other areas.... but unless you plan to stay out very late and walk in dark areas, you're in no appreciable danger.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Mary

Rick,<BR>For an extensive discussion on the Kings Cross area, please see the message on this board entitled &quot;Is Kings's Cross a safe place to stay?&quot; It is currently number 583.<BR><BR>Frommers &quot;Australia from $50 a Day&quot; describes Kings Cross this way: &quot;The Cross is famous as the city's &quot;red light district&quot;--but it is also home to some of the city's best-known nightclubs and restaurants. It also houses plenty of backpacker hostels, as well as some upmarket hotels. The main drag, Darlinghurst Road,is quite short, but it's crammed with strip joints, prostitutes, drug addicts, and homeless people.&quot;<BR><BR>&quot;Time Out Guide: Sydney&quot; describes it more negatively: &quot;King's Cross is Soho's little sister with a thick scab of fairly standard sleaze concentrated along the Strip....This area has long been the vice quarter of Sydney....The Strip offers a curious mixture of swivel-necked tourists clutching their airline bags against pickpockets, the flotsam of city lowlife who hang around the tourist traps working their various scams; and ordinary folk from various social levels.&quot; <BR><BR>Hope this information is useful...Mary

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM
diane

I agree with Mary--check this message board for a discussion on King's Cross. Only about the first third of the discussion has anything to do with King's Cross, though. Most of the remaining messages are off the topic. But check it out anyway. For what it's worth, I have stayed in King's Cross and wasn't afraid at all. However, I wouldn't stay there again because there are other areas of Sydney that are more conveniently located for about the same price. So unless your friend has some compelling reason for staying in the Cross, I suggest staying closer to Circular Quay or west of Hyde Park.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Nick

I do not find Kings Cross as a whole too bad, (although my wife from Sydney hates it) in that alot of streets very close are actually pretty good - not so far away is Elizabeh Bay which is very nice. But some of the central side streets are not very pleasant and right down the main street in the middle of the day you can definitely see some pretty unpleasant sights - e.g. totally drugged up, drunken prostitutes staggering along the footpaths,(seen mid week about 2pm total dead centre 3 or 4 hookers around the sex shop/apartment entrance together with the staggering woman). So some of the sleaze you have to look for, some will bump into you. When I lived in Sydney 10 years ago, I thought it was not so bad although other Sydney residents say it is better - i.e. just depends on your days experience. So another (but not so) different view from Alan on this one.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Paul S

Hi Rick,<BR><BR>The Cross gained a lot of its reputation from the old days when it really was a rough place to be at anytime of the day or night. We are talking back in the 70's and earlier.<BR><BR>I was stationed there with the Navy back then and even thought it was a rough and tumble place it was still alot of fun for us sailors.<BR><BR>These days I don't think it is anywhere near what it used to be, you would be safe so long as you don't venture down any side alleys and stay on the main drag.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul S