Sydney, Red Center and Cairns Trip Report

Jun 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,630
Dear Keith, If only you haad written your report before I went to Australia 2 years ago, I could have saved alot of money. I am overwhelmed by your detail mate.

Did you miss seeing Dinky the world famous piano playing and singing dingo of Central Australia at Stuart's Well. Neil, a non believer, could perhaps send you the link to his ABC interview

Thanks for the memories.

AndrewDavid is offline  
Jul 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 57

Thank you so much for this trip report!! I very much want to go to Australia, to exactly the places you have gone - Sydney, Uluru & Alice Springs, and Cairns - but am having a hard time convincing my husband that this should be our next trip. I'm hoping that after he reads your trip report (and I will wait for the Cairns portion, so he can read it all at one time), he will be as enthused as I am. You are truly a gem for being so detailed, as well as for being such a good travel companion to your aunt and uncle. I'm very much looking forward to your next section!!
newretiree is offline  
Aug 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,583
I sure hope you finish this excellent report Keith!!

Images2 is offline  
Aug 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,047
Great report, KE1TH. Yes, please finish when you have a chance. We're working on plans for a trip to the same areas (plus Melbourne) for next June/July.
ms_go is offline  
Aug 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 750
Sorry it took so long to continue this report. I have had family issues that I’ve had to deal with for the last couple of months that have delayed this missive. I’ve flown to New York City to visit with my nephew who had extremely serious surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery to correct a spinal cord injury.

To finish it in a timely manner, I am going to have to condense and edit out a lot of the detail that was included in the report up to this point.

Thursday, June 1. We awake around 8am today. After getting ready, we walk over to the Sails in the Desert Hotel to eat at the buffet breakfast. It is basically the same as the buffet breakfast we had yesterday at the Outback Pioneer Hotel and Lodge. After finishing breakfast, we walk back to the room and finish packing for our trip to Cairns. The flight leaves at 12:40. AAT Kings picks us up at the Desert Gardens lobby at 11:30am. We arrive at the Ayers Rock Airport at 11:40. We check in for our flight and go through security. While waiting for our flight, I call Gray Line to schedule our excursion to the Great Barrier Reef for Friday June 2 and the excursion to the Kuranda Rain Forest for Saturday June 3. These are the tours that we had paid for back in Sydney on our first day.

The flight to Cairns was uneventful. It was fun watching the landscape below turn from bright red to green. We flew out over the Coral Sea before turning and landing at Cairns. When we got off the plane, I immediately knew that we were in the tropics due to the heat and humidity. After getting our luggage, we found our transfer and he drove us to our resort in Palm Cove. We arrive at Palm Cove around 5pm.

Palm Cove is about 20 miles or so north of Cairns. Our resort is the Novotel Rockford Palm Cove. I’m disappointed in that the resort itself is not on the coast/beach. You have to make a 15-minute walk either down the road or through the swampy woods to reach the small village of Palm Cove and the beach. The resort itself is quite large and very nice. We check in and are taken to our room in the Periwinkle Building, which faces the golf course. After freshening up, we walk across the golf course, through the woods (more swamp than woods) to the Palm Cove pier. From the pier you can see Double Island about a half mile out in the Coral Sea. You can also see Haycock Island, more popularly known as Scout Hat Island as it looks like a scout’s hat. Several aboriginal women are fishing from the pier. Their children are running along the pier having a good time.

After walking to the end of the pier and back, we walk under the large trees that shade the village of Palm Cove. The village is laid out on the opposite side of the road from the beach. There are several restaurants, shops, businesses and hotels along the quarter mile or so that make up Palm Cove. We stop at Stingers Beach Bar and Café, one of the restaurants on the north end of the village, near the pier, and sit down outside under large umbrellas to order some dinner. I wondered why the restaurant had umbrellas since there were large shade trees overhead, but no more had the thought entered my head than nearby a big splash of “water” fell. It turns out the “water” was not “water” at all, but the release from a bat nested in the trees.

The restaurant offers hamburgers, pizzas, some seafood and pasta. I order 18 “prawns”. I know that prawns are what we call shrimp here in the states. What I didn’t expect was for the prawns to be delivered with the heads still attached. They were still good, if not a bit more messy than usual as there was more peeling to do than I normally perform. Aunt Tootsie and Uncle Delaine both order a pizza.

By the time dinner was over, it had become dark. The bats in the trees above us were starting to stir and make a racket. We walked back to the resort along the road, as we didn’t feel comfortable going through the woods now that it was dark. There were bats flying thorough the night air. I thought of the scene from The Wizard of Oz where the wicked witch of the west sends out her flying monkeys to get Dorothy and Toto. We got back to our room unscathed and watched some television and eventually went to sleep.

Friday, June 2. Our transfer for our excursion to the Great Barrier Reef was scheduled to pick us up at the front desk at 7:30am. The van picked us up on time. We were the first ones to board. The driver told us that he had about a dozen people to pickup between Palm Cove and the harbor at Cairns. It took about an hour to get to Cairns with all the stops he had to make.

The catamaran to Green Island began boarding from the Marlin Wharf at 8:30am. We went to the top deck and found a seat. It pulled away from the dock at 9am and began the slow journey to the island. The boat never got fast enough to make a wake. It took about an hour to get to Green Island, even though it is only a few miles out in the sea from Cairns. The package included a ride in the submarine, the glass bottom boat, snorkeling, and lunch for a little less than $100.00. Our ticket for lunch was at 11:30, so we decided to take the submarine ride first. A yellow submarine. I looked around for Paul and Ringo.

The submarine ride was not really a submarine. It is basically a surface craft where the hull of the boat underwater is glass and you are able to look out at the reef and fish as you pass by. We saw large clams, all kinds of fish and the different types of coral. I’m sure I saw Nemo, Dorie and Marlin. The submarine ride lasted about 45 minutes. I really enjoyed it.

Lunch was on the catamaran. It was buffet style with several meats, vegetables, pastas, breads and desserts. Because of the amount of people on the tour, lunch was served in shifts starting at 11:30am until 1pm. We ate during the first seating. You had to buy your drink from the bar.

After lunch, we took the glass bottom boat ride. Although nice, it wasn’t as good as the submarine ride. Instead of looking out at the reef and all it’s wonders, you look down. The glass bottom boat ride lasted about 30 minutes.

It was about 12:30 and we had yet to leave the jetty and step foot on Green Island. We walked towards the island, passing a building that allowed you to descend stairs to an underwater viewing area. It costs an extra $5.00 to do that and we decided that it wouldn’t be able to surpass what we had just seen on the yellow submarine, so we walked on pass.

Green Island is a coral cay that formed over 6000 years ago from old coral and sand deposited by waves amongst old dead reefs until the deposits built up above sea level. Vegetation was introduced by birds and other animals over the years. Captain Cook sailed by in 1770 on the HMS Endeavour and named the island after his chief observer and astronomer on the ship, Charles Green. So the island is not named “Green Island” due to the lush green vegetation located on it, but after a man.

On the island itself is a small resort with a couple of shops, a couple of restaurants and the hotel itself. Just past the resort area are some boardwalk trails through the jungle. We decided to walk through the jungle to the other side of the island. Just as you begin the walk, near the resort, is a small zoo called the Marineland Melanesia Aquarium, Museum & Crocodile Farm. We didn’t stop here, but would come back later to shop in the gift shop.

It took about 30 minutes to get to the other side of Green Island. Instead of walking back through the jungle, we decided to walk back along the beach. Unfortunately, you couldn’t walk barefoot as the beach was made up of sharp coral in addition to the sand. It took about 30 minutes to walk back to the resort/jetty area along the beach as well. At the resort area, a manmade beach of soft sand had been created. This is where the families with small children were enjoying their day. A little further out were the first-time rookie snorkelers. The more serious snorkelers and divers had taken boats further out from the island. Needless to say, Aunt Tootsie, Uncle Delaine and myself did not snorkel that day, even though it was included in the price we had paid for the tour.

We watched the people swim and snorkel for a while from the comfort of a large shade tree. We then walked back to the resort area and got an ice cream from the shop there. We then walked back to the Marineland giftshop. I bought a Green Island tee shirt along with several refrigerator magnets. Aunt Tootsie bought some souvenirs for her grandkids. Uncle Delaine bought another hat.

We were expected back to the catamaran by 3:15, so we began to head in that direction. We all decided that the best part of the day had been the yellow submarine ride. We boarded the catamaran and it departed Green Island at 3:45. We sat on the top deck for the return trip as well.

We arrived back in Cairns right around 5pm and boarded buses for the transfer back to the hotel in Palm Cove. It took about an hour to drop off all the other people before we were finally dropped off at the Novotel’s lobby. We walked from the lobby to our room to freshen up for dinner. At about 7, we head to the more casual restaurant in the resort, Canecutters Café. I order a hamburger, which turns out to be huge. Aunt Tootsie orders a chicken dish, and Uncle Delaine orders a steak. Uncle Delaine and I also get a Victoria Bitters beer. This was the first time I had ever tasted a Victoria Bitter. I enjoyed it and ordered another. I haven’t been able to find anyone here in my area of the USA that carries/can get this brand of beer. Pity.

After dinner, we walk back to the room in the dark, dodging the fox bats once again. After an hour or so of reviewing our day, we go to bed.

Tomorrow: The Kuranda Rainforest Skyrail, Town and Scenic Railway.
KE1TH is offline  
Aug 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,583
Thank you so very much Ke1th, you are a great help to those of us planning for our trips now.

I pray your nephew is doing well. Our daughter also had spinal surgery (I'm sure not as serious) several years ago and has a fused spine with pins and rods, but thankfully is now pregnant with her lst child! Miracles can happen!
Images2 is offline  
Aug 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,018
Thanks Keith - best wishes to your nephew for his recovery.
Bokhara is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:31 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,680
Thank you Keith for another interesting trip report and do hope your nephew makes a speedy recovery.

Just a couple of points, Green Island is 17 nautical miles from Cairns city, so if your boat is making 17 knots it would take at least an hour to arrive there. It is a shame that Novotel obviously didn't tell you that there is a boat pickup to Green Island with Big Cat, right at Palm Cove jetty. This would have saved the return road trip to Cairns city with pickups enroute.

Bats, or flying foxes, are common in tropics, and you possibly had a heavier bat experience than normal at Palm Cove. The Category 5 cyclone,Larry, which hit before your arrival took out their feeding areas in areas south, the poor things were starving and headed north to forage for whatever food they could find.
pat_woolford is offline  
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 750
Thanks for all the well wishes regarding my nephew.

If you're interested, here is a link to his website:

As for the trip report, I'll try to get the last few days up as soon as I can.... I still don't have my pictures labeled either.....

Thanks again,

KE1TH is offline  
Aug 24th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,583
You have a very brave nephew Keith. He has a wonderful attitude and a supportive family. I see why your mind has been on more important things.

Our prayers are with him and your family.
Images2 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 73
First, I hope and pray that your nephew recuperates - what a brave boy!

Thank you SO MUCH for your report. We are going to Australia and New Zealand for the month of November. It has been my husband's dream trip so I am leaving most of the itinerary up to him which so far is NZ for a week, 3 days Sydney, 3 days Melbourne (our daughter is studying there), 2 days Coober Pedy (once he read about the mail route trip into the Outback that became a must-do), 3 days Perth, and 3 days Singapore on the way home (my sister lives there and we've never been).

I was trying to determine if it would be worth it to try to squeeze in a visit to Alice Springs and Uluru for the same length of time that you did and very much appreciate your description of how you spent your time there.

Best wishes.

dellyb is offline  
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 424
Hi KE1TH, I too pass best wishes to your nephew and family. He sounds a brave young man.

I have soooo enjoyed your trip reports so far. Your account of the Red Centre section has strengthened my resolve to visit there. Pleased to see you stuck to your guns and did not climb Uluru. I look forward to reading the rest of your Cairns trip, a place I really love to visit.
dotty is offline  
Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,583
Images2 is offline  
Sep 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,530
Keith, I've just come across your fabulously detailed report! I have only had time to look at the Sydney section which was great! I don't know how you all had the energy to do what you did on the first day after that long trip!It was interesting getting that background knowledge of the scene before you left. What was your Uncle's reaction when he found out he wasn't going to Montana!!?? I'll have to look at the rest of your report now. Thanks!
Peteralan is offline  
Apr 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 750
I completely forgot that I had not yet posted the final section of this trip report…. It’s almost been a year since I returned from this trip, but wanted to finalize the trip report, so here it is:

Saturday, June 3

We got up early today to catch our ride to the Kuranda Rainforest Skyrail. The van picked us up at the front of the hotel at 7:30am. He had about 8 more people to pickup before dropping us off at the Caravonica Terminal of the Kuranda Rainforest Skyrail.

The van trip took about 45 minutes. We arrived at the terminal 15 minutes before the skyrail opened for the day. Conveniently, however, the gift shop was already open. Wonder if they plan it that way. We didn’t buy anything as we didn’t want to have to tote it around all day.

At 8:30am, the skylift buckets began to move. We were fourth or fifth in line to hop on the moving buckets. The buckets immediately begin a fairly steep climb. Before long, you’re sailing above the Eucalypt woodlands of the coastal plains towards the top of a ridge of coastal mountains. Looking back, you can see the sea and several islands of the Great Barrier Reef.

Eventually, the skylift comes to Red Peak Station. Here you exit the buckets to change to another cable-line. At Red Peak, you are able to take a looped walk along a boarded walkway through the rainforest. The boardwalk had signs posted to tell you what type plant you were looking at. I was amazed at the “staghorn ferns” that were clinging to the trunks of the trees. The foliage actually looked like the upside-down antlers of a moose or elk.

Back on the skylift, we head out over the Barron River Valley. We’re hundreds of feet above the canopy of the rainforest. You cannot see the floor of the forest due to the thickness of the trees. Most of the trees are of the same height, but occasionally, there will be one that rises 50 feet or more above the others. This tall tree is called the Red Penda Tree. The Wattle tree is noticeable due to its silvery foliage and the Alexandra Palm is also prominent.

Eventually, you begin to hear a roar coming from a distance. You follow the sound, which is coming from the front left, and a spectacular sight emerges into view. Barron Falls. The skylift runs alongside the Barron River gorge for a short distance and you get a birds-eye view of the falls out of the left side of the basket. Eventually, the skylift lowers into the Barron Falls Station, where you once again exit the basket. From this station, you can take a boardwalk to several overlooks of the falls.

Barron Falls is a cascading waterfall with a total drop of about 850 feet. It can be quite powerful in the rainy season. Today, it had a decent flow. Enough to kick up a spray.

We walked to several of the overlooks to get different perspectives of the falls. There was evidence of former attempts to capitalize on the hydroelectric power of the falls. Several rusting and abandoned items were still visible amongst the trees of the forest.

After spending about 30 minutes here, we got back on the skylift and begin the last leg that would take us to the village of Kuranda. Just before we begin the descent into the Kuranda terminal, the skylift crosses the Barron River. The guide literature that you are given at the beginning of the trip says to look for crocodiles as you cross over the river. We do not see any.

The skylift journey ends for us here at the Kuranda Terminal. It has taken us about 2 hours to get from Caravonica to Kuranda, including the two stops along the way. We exit the terminal and head uphill to Coondoo Street, the main street of Kuranda.

Coondoo Street is only three or four blocks long, but there is a plethora of souvenir shops, galleries and snack places. It is about 10:30am when we arrive in Kuranda. We have to meet our bus that takes us to RainForeStation Nature Park at 12:30, so we have two hours to stroll about Coondoo Street checking out the stores and galleries. I had assumed that the prices here would be high, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the souvenir shops were very reasonable in their prices. I guess the competition keeps the prices low. I actually end spending around $150 in the shops of Kuranda. I’m embarrassed to say that one of the items I bought was some kangaroo balls. What was I thinking?

At one point during all this shopping, we stopped and got some ice cream. Eventually, it became time to head toward the bus pickup area. We found our assigned bus and boarded it. After about 15 minutes or so, the bus headed out of Kuranda and towards the RainForeStation Nature Park. The admission to the Nature Park included lunch, so when we got to the park, the first thing they have us do is head towards the restaurant. The included lunch was a 3 course Tropical BBQ Lunch including country style soup & bread, steak, sausages, chicken, variety of garden salads, jasmine rice, stir fry noodles, wok-fried vegetables, baby potatoes, cheese platter and tropical fruits.

After lunch, we are scheduled to take the Army Duck Rainforest tour. These are amphibious Army vehicles (officially called DUKW) that can travel on both land and in water. The tour takes you through the rainforest where your driver points out different plants and animals. One of the plants the driver points out is the “stinging tree”. The stinging tree, if touched, releases an irritating poison that, although not life threatening, can cause an irritating stinging sensation for up to six months. There is no antidote for the sting. The driver also points out a beautiful blue butterfly called the Ulysses Butterfly.

After about 30 minutes of driving along the wooded trail, the vehicle comes upon a lake. The path heads into the lake and the DUKW does likewise. Once in the water, the propellers engage and now you’re in a “boat” gliding along with the fishes. The driver points out several snakes on the banks or in trees, water birds, turtles and eels.

After about 10 minutes of sailing in the lake, the DUKW drives up onto dry land again and we’re off through the forest again. The driver points out a termite mound telling us that this type of termite is used to hollow out the core of trees to make the aboriginal didgeridoo. The DUKW ride ends after about 45 minutes.

We are then directed to the Pamagirri Amphitheatre to see an Aboriginal Corroboree Dance performance. We see the dancers perform the “Bibi Myon” or Summons/Welcome Dance, the “Ngukum” or Mosquito Dance, the “Gurrunga” or Warning Dance, the “Pamagirri” or Silent Snake Dance, the “Muguy” or Sugar Bag Dance, the “Bundara” or Cassowary Dance, the “Marloo” or Kangaroo Dance, and the “Warran-Jarra” or Shake-A-Leg Dance. Then the dancers come into the audience and pull three audience members up onto the stage. They get both Aunt Tootsie and Uncle Delaine and teach them a few steps of their native dance. I have hilarious pictures.

After the Dance performance, the dancers divide up the audience and take them on a “Dreamwalk”. We get Daniel. Daniel first takes us to an area to show us how to make and play a didgeridoo. He makes it look easy. It’s not. There is a unique way you have to breathe, both inhaling and exhaling at the same time (I’m sure it’s more involved that this, but we were getting the 5 minute course). He demonstrates the more common sounds used like the kookaburra and kangaroo sounds. It’s very interesting, and Uncle Delaine was in heaven.

After the didgeridoo demonstration, Daniel takes us to a large open field where we are given boom-a-rang throwing lessons. Daniel’s accuracy in targeting objects with the boom-a-rang was amazing. And it did return to him. When most of our small group tried at first, the boom-a-rang fell to the ground within several feet of us. After a few tries, however, some of us were able to get the boom-a-rang to perform like a boom-a-rang is supposed to perform.

After the boom-a-rang demonstration, Daniel did a spear throwing demonstration using a device made of some sort of fiber to make the spear travel much further than if thrown using his arm alone. His accuracy at hitting targets with the spear were as impressive as his accuracy had been with the boom-a-rang.

I actually think that Uncle Delaine enjoyed the “Dreamwalk” as much as any other thing we had done on the entire trip to Australia. He asked Daniel a million questions about the didgeridoo. I think Daniel enjoyed Uncle Delaine’s enthusiasm as well.

After leaving Daniel and the “Dreamwalk”, we enter the wildlife section of the park. In the wildlife section of the park there are kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, wombats, a cassowary and a big mean saltwater crocodile named “Jack the Ripper”. You’re able to pet the kangaroos and wallabies in an open area where they roam about unhindered. There is a dingo cage and a snake house as well. We spend the remainder of our time here before we board the bus back to Kuranda to catch the Kuranda Scenic Railway back to Cairns.

The Kuranda Scenic Railway was constructed between 1882 and 1891 along the Barron River Gorge. It was built to haul in supplies for the miners that were further inland and to haul out their discoveries. Today, it is used as a passenger railway for tourists. The railway passes through 15 tunnels, crosses dozens of bridges and has 93 curves. The train makes one stop along the route, stopping at the Barron Waterfall overlook. This overlook is on the opposite side of the gorge from the overlook we experienced earlier in the day on the skylift.

One of the more spectacular moments is when the train crosses a bridge that was built in front of Stony Creek Falls. The bridge is curved and if you’re in the front of the train, you can look back and see the rear of the train passing in front of the falls, or vice versa. The trip takes just under 2 hours to complete. Once at the Cairns station, we find our transfer van back to our hotel and are back in Palm Cove before dark.

For dinner this evening, we wanted to eat at El Greko, a Greek taverna, but it would not be open for another hour, so we end up eating at Stingers Beach Bar Café again. We order a large pizza for the three of us, and Uncle Delaine and I also order a Victoria’s Bitter. After dinner, we walk back to the hotel, once again watching out for any low flying bats.

We discuss the day and Uncle Delaine confirms what I had thought all day. He had enjoyed the trip to Kuranda, especially the “Dreamwalk” more than any other single item on the trip. We watch some TV and are in bed by 10:00pm

Sunday, June 4

We don’t have any plans for today, our last full day in Australia. I still have several souvenirs to purchase, and Aunt Tootsie does too, so we decide to take the local express bus into Cairns. The bus stop is at the entrance to the Novotel. It costs $10.20 roundtrip and takes about 45 minutes to get to central Cairns.

Once in Cairns, we walk around and shop for several hours. After awhile, Aunt Tootsie and Uncle Delaine say they’ve had enough shopping and want to return to Palm Cove. Even though he desperately wanted to find a didgeridoo to purchase and take home with him, Uncle Delaine never found one that he liked. I walk with them to the bus station, make sure they get on the correct bus and see them off. I stay in Cairns for another three or four hours.

At about 4:00PM, I, too, head back to Palm Cove. I’ve spent about $200.00 on more souvenirs for the nieces, nephews, parents, siblings and friends. Not to mention myself. Should be fun trying to get it all packed in my suitcase. I arrive back at the Novotel and both Uncle Delaine and Aunt Tootsie say they’re hungry. We get ready and are at the resort’s restaurant at 6. I order grilled barramundi. I liked it, but not enough to justify the high price for it. I think I remember the dish costing somewhere close to $50.00.

After dinner, we head back to the room to finish packing for the trip home.

Monday, June 5

Our Qantas flight from Cairns to Brisbane leaves at 7:25am. We arrive at Brisbane’s Domestic Terminal and have to transfer to the International Terminal. There are hardly any signs pointing you in the correct direction. But we finally find our way. Our flight from Brisbane to Los Angeles leaves at 11:05AM.

The flight is uneventful. Decent service for a 14 hour flight in economy. Better than domestic US Airlines for sure. Arrive Los Angeles at 7:00am the same day. According to the clock, we arrive in Los Angeles before we took off from Brisbane. OK, OK, I know. But it’s fun thinking of it that way. Immigration and Customs are a breeze.

We have a three hour layover in Los Angeles, having to switch from the Tom Bradley International Terminal to Terminal One. We board our Southwest flight (once again since we didn’t have access to a computer before hand, we’re in boarding group B) at 10:30am and arrive in Nashville at 4:15PM. It takes another two hours to get to their house from Nashville where after having a light dinner, we all decide to go to bed since we’re all extremely tired.

Tuesday, June 6

After getting up and having a homemade breakfast made by Aunt Tootsie, I leave to head back to my house. It takes me three hours to drive home. I drop off my 32 rolls of film at the camera/film store on the way home and am home by 1pm.


Here it is almost an entire year later and the four or five times I’ve seen Aunt Tootsie and Uncle Delaine since our return, they still rave about this “trip of a lifetime”. I am so glad that I got to experience the wonders of Australia with them. I had to make duplicates of my almost 800 pictures and give to them.

KE1TH is offline  
Apr 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Posts: n/a
I love that it took you until now to finish your journal as it gave me a chance to read it. I admire you for taking your aunt and uncle! What wonderful memories for all of you. We leave for our vacation on May 3 and can't wait! Barbara
Apr 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 935
Has Uncle Delaine learnt to play his didgeridoo?
johhj_au is offline  
Apr 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 51
Thanks Keith for a wonderful report. My wife and I are off to Australia day after tomorrow 4/17. We're going to Melbourne, Adelaide, Clare Valley, Hobart, Freycinet, Lizard Island, Cairns and Sydney. We're very excited!
phishears is offline  
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 750

Uncle Delaine made his own didgeridoo....

I guess technically it is not a didgeridoo as it is made of pcv pipe instead of wood. But the sound produced is very similiar to that of a real didgeridoo.

He used a 6 foot section of 3" plastic pcv pipe and some heat to give it some curves and texture. He does use real beeswax for the mouthpiece.

I'm sure a real connoisseur of aboriginal music would be able to tell the difference between the sounds of a real didgeridoo and uncle Delaine's facsimile, but for the folks he is playing it for, it sounds just like what they've heard on tv specials and movies.


KE1TH is offline  
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,694
Keith, I read your earlier installments and am so glad you came back to finish it off! Thanks so much, it does sound like you were able to help your aunt and uncle have a trip of a lifetime.
Toucan2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:09 PM.