Sydney "Must-Sees" ???

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney "Must-Sees" ???

We leave in nine days -- and have finally locked down all the logistics of a month-long business & pleasure trip to NZ and Aus.

Now that I've stopped obsessing about hotels, rental cars, and flights, it's time to obsess about what to see when I get there!

We'll have 4 or 5 days free in Sydney. What do you suggest?

Also -- any favorite restaurants? We're not gourmet "foodies" and don't drink wine, but we enjoy unique, reasonably priced local dining experiences.

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM

If you can indicate some of your interests that would make it easier to recommend things to do.

For reasonably priced restaurants in Sydney try: Spice I am, (great Thai) Wentworth ave (near to Central Station). There are fabulous very cheap Vietnamese restaurants in Illawarra Rd, Marrickville. In Cleveland St, there are a number of good cheap Indian restaurants. For lunch only, Sopra above Fratelli Fresh in Danks St Waterloo, has fabulous Italian.
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM

For a month-long visit it would be well worthwhile to invest in good guidebooks for Australia and NZ, if you haven't already done so. They'll be a big help in optimising your trip.

You can also buy the "Good Food Guide" put out by the Sydney Morning Herald, which reviews the city's best restaurants (in the reviewers' opinions) by price band. You should find a copy in any decent bookstore or newsagent, including those at Sydney Airport.

Note that tipping in Aust/NZ restaurant staff don't assume that you'll tip, and if you do, it should be a modest number, 10% at most. Waiting staff are paid a living wage in both countries and don't depend on tips to pay the rent.
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM

If you like Thai, an variations thereof, Newtown is the place in Sydney. Green Gourmet, for very Tasty Vegan. Very Affordable, so you start at one end of King street and you work your way down to the other end.

For Vietnamese, I have a favourite place in glebe on glebe point road, called Little Saigon.Its quite popular, so midweek may be the best time to go.

However, Marrickville is the place to go for Vietnamese, and its super affordable there.

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions -- and the "tip" about tipping.

We do enjoy Asian food and eating healthfully, so the Thai and Vietnamese suggestions sound great. Our hotel includes breakfast, so I won't have to worry about that.

In terms of our interests -- we're animal lovers, and we plan to visit the Walkabout Wildlife Park where we've "adopted" a wombat and a wallabee.

But we're not big on museums. We mostly enjoy scenery -- but we realize that Sydney is a big city. I guess we want to do whatever the things are that one does when in Sydney

As i read my guidebooks, it's becoming a bit less overwhelming!
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:00 PM

If you enjoy scenery and walking, you are coming to the right place.
Sydney Harbour belongs to the people and most of the foreshores have wonderful walks, little bays, beaches and parks for everyone to enjoy.
Hard to imagine but there is a fair amount of natural bush around some parts of the harbour.
Sydney is centred on the harbour and all manner of boating activities are available.
Captain Cook Cruises have a coffee-cruise ferry trip which lasts for about two hours and of course, they serve coffee, tea, muffins etc all with a running commentary. Very good value and very enjoyable.
You might like to go to Manly (beach suburb on the other side of the harbour) by ferry and have fish and chips for lunch at the beach, then time your return just before the sun goes down and the city lights come on. Absolute Magic!!
Have a wonderful trip!

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM

There are reasonably priced restaurants in the East Circular Quay area or what I would call the Opera House Walk. Lenin is one, the other used to be called Eat Fifteen but has changed it's name. Sydney Ferries has a very reasonably priced harbour cruise for 2-3 hours. I would say that it would be a must if the weather is good.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great tips!
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Catch a ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo and you can visit our zoo which has the best views in the world (I think). The zoo perches on the edge of the harbour and you will be able to wander through the zoo and enjoy the gorgeous harbour views at the same time.