Sydney itinerary

Aug 21st, 2004, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Sydney itinerary

Hi - I will be Sydney for 2 weeks in mid Novemeber [tagging along with a friend and will be on my own quite a bit - sort of an Aussie version of Lost in Translation] I've never been to Australia and would appreicate any suggestions - how long should I stay in Sydney and where else should I go given my time there? Thanks!
Aug 21st, 2004, 05:43 AM

Sydney itself has lots of nice places for day visits. You can reach by ferries. Make sure you get a Sydney pass before you leave - good for unlimited travel on the buses, subways, ferries, etc. There is also a hop on hop off trolly that goes around the city for a good orientation and is included in that pass. Couple of nice zoos, great aquarium, lots of places you can walk. You will not be bored with 2 weeks in Sydney.

But its sort of like being in America and spending all 2 weeks in New York. You would miss a great deal if you didn't get in a bit more. For starters visit the blue mountains. You can drive or take the train. You can make it a day trip but its quite beautiful, lots of opportunities to see wildlife and take pictures. I suggest staying overnight.

If you can, I would get a ticket and fly up to Queensland and take a great barrier reef trip. I cannot imagine going home without seeing the reef.

You can also drive up the Sunshine coast a bit. Lots of nice beaches.

Aug 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response! I've been reading some of the other threads on here and had figured 4 or 5 days for Sydney with the balance of the 2 weeks for anything else.

Couple of questions to add: I love to drive but should I use trains to travel? Is having a car while in Syndey a hindrance? Are both Melbourne and the gold coast too ambitious?

Thanks again - have lurked on this forum for ages and its been a wealth of info.
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:59 PM

Having a car while in Sydney is a hindrance, really - it's a big city and the roads are busy, but the public transport system overall is pretty good. I wouldn't recommend trains for long distances, though. Driving is a good way to get to see the country, as long as you're happy to drive on the LH side. A relaxed drive to either Melbourne or Brisbane with an overnight stop on the way will chew up the best part of a week. Or as suggested you could try for a cheap fare to Cairns and see the Reef and the other good reasons to visit the tropical North.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM

Yeh - don't whatever u do hire a car just to travel around Sydney city. It would be worth it if you want to go to the Blue Mts and then continue on from there to see more of NSW. There are so many wonderful places to see - but on balance, like Neil says - if you want to use one of your weeks to go somewhere else - go up to FNQ - go out to the reef and check out the daintree NP. Start looking now for flights - the earlier u book on any of the carriers the better the deal.