Search

Sydney Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Hotels

Booking hotels for our honeymoon- can you please tell us which hotel you would recommend from the following: (location, nice, etc)

Sydney-
Westin
Sheraton on the Park
Intercontinental
Sydney Harbour Marriot at Circular Quay

Thank you in advance!
- Allyson
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM

I am not familiar with any of the hotels you've mentioned, but would recommend staying as near as you can to the Circular Quay area. It is were most of the tourist action is, and is a lovely fun area to get to know. We enjoyed the tour of the Opera House, took a harbor tour, a tour to the Blue Mtns, and a city bus tour. Our most memorable day was the climb of the Syndey Bridge. My husband & I are in our late 50's early 60's, in moderate shape but had no trouble climbing the steps. It is a magnificant view from the top!!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Allyson, I'm not too familiar with the hotels either other than knowing that they're typical of the very sterile (to me) environment that you typically get with modern hotels - not the sort of place you'll find me unless someone was paying and then I'd suggest that I use the money for a package to http://www.lordhoweisland.info/ or sticking with Sydney area , http://www.ripples.com.au/ or others on http://www.hawkesburyriver.org.au/Bo...p;Charters.htm

For Sydney CBD area itself, check out http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/ and they do not call it heritage for nothing, beautifully fitted out colonial style humungus room with a King Size bed and the room size makes up for no ensuite if you can handle that.

Or for ensuite and another character place to help you remember your honeymoon, have a look at The Russell, listed on http://www.therocks.com/sydney-Educa...s_Pub_Tour.htm , about the last under accommodation.

Of the ones you have listed they are all not so far from Circular Quay and though no doubt well soundproofed, the Quay/Bridge area is likely to be hectic/noisy with traffic and I'd opt for Sheraton on the Park on that aspect.

If wanting an Australian Adventure, ask for a room facing towards the Opera House to minimise bridge noise.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hi,

I know where they all are but have never set foot in any of them. I agree that for a visitor CQ /Rocks area is the place to be. So on that score Intercontinental and the SH Marriot come out best.

Have you already looked at and discarded lots of other places? Put another way, what led to this shortlist and would you be open to alterenatives?

Cheers.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Westin is on Martin Place, more or less centre of the city. Nothing like Times Sqauare if you're from the US.

Sheraton on the Park is about 10-15 mins walk south-east and overlooks Hyde Park (smaller, but our "Central Park" in the middle of the city).

The Intercontinental is at the Opera House end of Bridge & Macquarie Streets and, depending on the room, could overlook the harbour/Botanic Gardens or both.

The Sydney Harbour Marriot is on Pitt Street, at the Circular Quay end, a block or two closer to the ferries than the Intercontinental.

All are well run international hotels; I would rate the first 3 above the Marriot, although there is nothing at all wrong with the M.

The Westin and Intercontinental are interesting because they are both housed in heritage buildings. The Westin behind the GPO and the Interocontinental built behind & around the old Mint building.

They will all do their utmost to give you the best value for $ if you tell them you're on your honeymoon. If it were me, I'd probably choose the Intercontinental and ask for a room overlooking the Botanical gardens & harbour (east aspect).

If you want something a bit more hip, modern & smaller, you might look at the Establishment. www.merivale.com
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I just stayed at the Intercontinental in October for three nights and it was very nice. The hotel is centrally-located and our room did have a harbor view.
FYI, we had excellent dinners at Cafe Sydney and the Coast. we reserved early and got tables with great views.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Have stayed in all bar the Intercontinental. If I'm a tourist I'd stay in the Circular Quay area and get somewhere with a view of the bridge and/or the Opera House. My favourite would be either Quay West or Quay Grand.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM

To take this thread perhaps in a somewhat different route...

My girlfriend and I need a place to stay for 3 nights in Sydney. I'm looking for something relatively cheap, but still nice. And smaller, I prefer to avoid big chains....

Thoughts on the Pensione Hotel, Grace Hotel, or other ideas I haven't come across yet??

Much appreciated
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Hi, Allyson.

My wife and I were fans for the Rocks area hotels until we had a couple of bad experiences with noise from nearby bars late into the night making our stay less enjoyable that we had hoped for.

We now like to stay in the Darling Harbour area and find the Four Points by Sheraton and Medina Grand to be ideally situated, being on the city side of the harbour. The Harbour View rooms are best. There are quite a few other hotels in this vicinity, including many on the other side of Darling Harbour..

There is plenty of activity at Darling Harbour, lots of restaurants there (Baia San Marco is a great place for Italian food), you can walk to the middle of the shopping area in 5 minutes, there is easy access to the Monorail and other train services, and Circular Quay and the Rocks are within walking distance or can easily be reached using the trains.