Search

Sydney Hotel : choices

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:16 AM
TL

Sydney Hotel : choices

Hi!<BR>We can't decide whether to choose the Old Sydney Holiday Inn or The Lord Nelson Brewery hotel. Can someone give some advices? Or is there any other recommendations? But we do not want to spend too much(not more than 300 aust dollar) per night on a hotel room and we prefer to stay in The Rock area.<BR>thanks!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:22 AM
Christina

We are staying at the Inter-Continental next month. It looks really nice & seems to be in that general location. Fodors listed it in their guide book as well. They are running some promotions on there web-site where you can get a room from about $240 AU.<BR><BR>Hope that helps!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:55 PM
liz

I have not seen the accommodation set up at the Lord Nelson Hotel but I would suppose that it is in line with the other decor in that the Hotel itself is the oldest in Sydney and is very oldie-worldie style. I doubt that it has any views though but it does have ambience. <BR>I personally like The Russell which is so convenient to Circular Quay and is certainly within your budget. If you are not wanting views then may I suggest The Menzies Four Seasons which, although not in the Rocks area, has the station within 30 ft and down an escalator or lift - it also has a nice take-away eatery in the train foyer and a Coles supermarket. The rooms are nice at the Menzies and they have all the other facilities. The price is moderate too, I think the prices are about $180 p/n on average but if you check www.wotif.com you would get a much better idea of costs. You are only one station from Circular Quay where all the ferries/buses and trains are. <BR>As for the Old Holiday Inn - I do have not stayed there so cannot comment on it.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
liz

Sorry its All Seasons Premier Menzies Hotel. I hve just looked at Wotif and the price is $175AU with some nights as low as $130. The one that I forgot about was Quay West Suites which is an apartment Hotel and has wonderful views of the harbour and bridge - I think it was about $190 on Wotif as well, which has to be the bargain of the year.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:45 PM
Alan

Hi, TL!<BR>Liz's suggestion of the Russell is worth listening to, as this hotel would seem to combine the good points of both the Lord Nelson and the Old Holiday Inn (great position, unique old building). Sticking with your two alternatives, however (and without having stayed in either) I would only say this: as far as an original old Sydney building is concerned, the Lord Nelson is easily the better choice.... it's like stepping back in time 150 years; and it's in a quiet little "backwater" part of the Rocks.... actually on the "other" side of the Harbour Bridge. The Old Holiday Inn is right up there where the views are, and there is probably no better-located hotel in Sydney... step outside and you are in the midst of the best attractions Sydney has to offer. It's a more modern, "regular" tourist hotel, and, I would imagine, indistinguishable from a dozen others of its kind. So, if I were to make the choice, I would say that the Lord Nelson would be the more interesting experience of the two, but forget the great views.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:42 PM
TL

Thanks everybody!<BR>Actually our first choice is The Russell, but when we read through the feedbacks posted on Fodors' hotel rave and rant, many people were not very happy with the hotel, and the feedbacks were rather negative. Is there anybody with a more recent review?<BR>I have checked the wotif website but the booking date is only up till August. I am going in December so I think I need to wait.<BR>Also, may we know is it cheaper to book directly from the hotel or is it cheaper to book through an agent?<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>TL<BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
liz

I think that those people who did not like The Russell didn't because it is not your usual 5 star hotel with Gym, pool and bars etc etc. It is a private, small hotel with boutique style rooms. So for those people who want all the trimmings it is not suitable. I had friends from the UK who stayed there with the intention of going to the ANA as well and ended up cancelling the ANA and staying on at The Russell because of its ambience. <BR>Just do a price comparison with the cost of the hotels direct and through an agent. <BR>I think it would be best then to book ASAP for December particularly if you are staying around Xmas time because being school holidays and Public Holidays it should be very busy.<BR>I will take a look at the Rant and Rave site myself.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:22 PM
Liz

Hi again<BR> I would think that you may be better off in another hotel if you are coming in December when one cannot guarantee that the weather won't be very hot. That would also go for the Lord Nelson Hotel as well I should think. I would feel that getting a hotel with airconditioning would be the best idea.