Reload this Page >

Sydney and Port Douglas in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:20 AM
Dick

My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary in Australia the first 2 weeks in November. <BR> <BR>We plan on spending 4 nights in Sydney, 2 in Port Stephens, and 5 nights in Port Douglas. <BR> <BR>We are somewaht uncertain about whether to stay in the Rocks area or around Hyde Park(obviously cheaper)...any suggestions. <BR> <BR>Also..there seems to be so many tourist attractions in the Port Douglas area..does anyone have any suggestions about what is a "don't miss it" and what is a " over rated..not worth it".sites. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 01:59 PM
Michael

Dick, <BR>In Sydney the reality is that the Rocks is a tourist area by the harbour so depending on the price difference the recommendation would be the rocks but Hyde Park is in the shopping district and only a 2 minute train trip from Circular Quay (the harbour) anyway. My personal preference would be at the harbour end of town with a view. As to Port Douglas (our family holidays there almost every year) my list in order of preference: Great Barrier Reef trip, Daintree Rainforest tour, Cape Tribulation 4 wheel drive tour, Kuranda Village (up by train, down by Skyway gondola), then the Habitat. Either do the Daintree or Cape Tribulation but dont think about both as they are similiar and the Cape tours go through the daintree. There are plenty of other activities but you simply dont have enough time - unless you are visiting someone in Port Stephens I drop that and spend the extra in Port Douglas. If you can afford it take the return trip from the reef on the Helicopter as it is a sight you'll never forget and the boat trip back from the reef after a tiring day is tiring in itself. If you need any further help on restaurants, hotels etc you can email me direct.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 10:33 PM
Michelle

Dick <BR>I'd agree that the Rocks is a better place to stay than Hyde Park. I don't know your budget, but the Park Hyatt is directly across the water from the Opera House - so the view is great. Otherwise harbour facing rooms in the Regent or the ANA are good choices too. If you're not set on having a harbour view I think the best hotel in the Rocks is definitely the Observatory Hotel. Its rooms are huge and very comfortable and filled with antiques. The indoor pool is wonderful under a dark blue night-like ceiling with twinkling lights like stars. The gym is also great. The staff are all friendly and helpful (I have stayed there several times). The only drawback is the view, which is west over Walsh Bay (rather than the harbour). I have also stayed at the ANA which was great for the view, nothing like sipping a drink and watching the sun set on the opera house, but the facilities aren't as good as the Observatory. For a special meal you might like to walk around the harbour foreshore, under the Harbour Bridge, to The Wharf Restaurant at Pier 4. The Sydney Theatre Company is also in the same building, so unless you want to see a play I would make your booking for 8pm (so you miss the pre-theatre crowd). Ask for a table at the window, and you'll a great view of the harbour bridge and constant stream of ferries, as well as good food and wine at fairly reasonable prices (for the city anyway). <BR>Have a good trip (if you're coming from O/S the way the Aussie dollar is falling at the moment means you'll be able to stay at all the best places quite reasonably! If so, and your budget permits, a stay at the Sheraton Mirage at Port Douglas is definitely worthwhile - it's fabulous) <BR>Have a great time <BR>Michelle

Old Sep 5th, 1998, 03:52 AM
Gary

<BR>Dick For Sydney accom I d recommend highly the newly completed 5 star Medina Apartments complex (Medina Grand)that overlook Darling Harbour.Superb standard ,brilliant location &service.I just cant fault it.For accom in Port Stephens you cant beat Peppers Anchorage resort.Happy anniversary.

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 03:26 PM
Harold Tomanek

Do not stay at the Port Douglas Sheraton! Stay in Cairns you can see all the same things that you can see in Port Douglas. Read my letter to Monica. Thanks.