Reload this Page >

Sydney & Melbourne restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1998, 07:25 PM
Jim

Hi <BR>We're leaving in 14 days for almost 3 weeks in Aus - we will be in Sydney & Melbourne - any favorites on restaurants for both cities?? We're thinking about the Tramcar dining experience in Melbourne - has anyone been on it??? <BR>Jim <BR> <BR>Jim

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 01:45 PM
Michael

Jim, <BR>Checkout sydney.sidewalk.com. Its restaurant reviews etc are pretty good and up to date. Some I could recommend would be the Quay (formerly Bilsons), MG Garage (the current "in" restaurant, Tetsuyas (current restaurant of the year), Rockpool, Doyles in Watson Bay for lunch, Catalinas in Rose Bay for lunch or dinner, <BR>Rgds

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 06:45 PM
Jim

Thanks Michael for both responses <BR> <BR>Jim

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 04:07 AM
Michelle

<BR>Hi Jim <BR>For a wonderful day out you could combine a seaplane flight up over the northern suburbs and coastline from Sydney to a FABULOUS restaurant called Cottage Point Inn Restaurant for lunch. The food is really delicious and they have a wonderful Australian wine list. The flight and lunch combined is expensive, but definitely worth it if you can afford it. You get a great view of the beaches and coastline from the air. You can also get to the restaurant by car. It is at Cottage Point which is in a national park, and so is lovely and quiet in a bush setting on the river. <BR> <BR>If you like Italian food, head for Leichhardt, one of Sydney's inner western suburbs about 15 minutes from the city. Many restaurants there are good. I particularly like Frattini in Marion Street and Portofino in Norton Street. Oh, if you are in the Sydney CBD and feel like pasta for lunch go to Machiavelli in Clarence Street. Great food, and a good 'locals' atmosphere because all the city merchant bankers go there for lunch and you may see the occasional politician (whose photos also grace the walls). <BR> <BR>You can get great innovative Thai food at Sailor Thai in George Street in the Rocks in the city. Or you could also try Thai Pothong in King Street at Newtown (about 10 minutes from city) which is also very good. <BR> <BR>The Wharf restaurant in the city has good food as well, and if you ask for a table in the window you'll get a good view of the harbour bridge (from the west side, so you don't see the Opera House). It's a lovely view and good food for much less than the more expensive restaurants right on the main harbour. <BR> <BR>Michael's suggestion of Catalina's is a good one - but go at lunch time because the water view from there is best seen in the day time. One last suggestion is Milsons which is at Milsons Point - a five minute train trip north across the harbour bridge. It doesn't have a view, but the food is great, and you can walk down to the harbour foreshore from the restaurant in about five minutes and stroll around the board walk past Luna Park. You'll get a lovely view of the harbour, the CBD, Opera House and Harbour Bridge from this side. This is really nice at night, as well as during the day. <BR>Hope this helps! <BR>Have fun in Australia <BR>Michelle

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 05:29 PM
Jim

Michelle <BR>This helps tons!!!!! Any idea on the seaplane flight & dinner cost???? <BR> <BR>Jim

Old Oct 11th, 1998, 11:03 PM
Michelle

<BR>Hi Jim <BR>As far as I can remember the combined seaplane/lunch trip was roughly A$180 a head - it includes a return flight (about 20 minutes each way) and a superb three course lunch (I really recommend going for lunch, rather than dinner, views are much better in the day-time). It doesn't include drinks. You book through Sydney Harbour Seaplanes, ask for an outside table on the rail near the water. They may have a website, I'm not sure, the phone number is 61 2 9388 1978. Seaplanes leave from Rose Bay, which is about 15 minutes east from the CBD. <BR>Michelle

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 05:23 PM
Kerry

I second Michelle's suggestion of a seaplane ride to The Cottage Point Inn. Great food, beautiful setting (remember to ask for a table by the rail next to the water. Lunch is definately the only time to go. Seating is outdoors so dress appropriately if the weather is cold or windy. Also remember your sunglasses. <BR> <BR>Another suggestion on a similar line is Jonah's at Whale Beach. Good food, wonderful views and they can arrange seaplane and limo delivery or you could go by cab. There is also a very small motel attached to the restaurant and they have dinner, bed and breakfast packages. This maybe an idea for one night out of the city in a very nice suburban area of Sydney. Rooms are small but you would only need the bed. You should arrive in the afternoon, sip a drink on the terrace overlooking the ocean, have an early dinner and watch the sunset over the ocean and next morning enjoy a big breakfast, walk it off in the surrounding area (warning steep hills) before returning to the city. Both these restaurants are our birthday and anniversary favourites. One word of warning - don't attempt either unless the weather is clear and fine otherwise you will lose the magic. <BR> <BR>Also Machiavelli's in the city is a great spot. Only open for lunch. <BR> <BR>I hope I caught you in time. <BR> <BR>I hope you have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your visit to our beautiful city. <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 05:28 PM
Leslie

Jim <BR>I've been living in Melbourne for past few months (I'm from the US) and there are many wonderful restaurants. In fact, I can't say I've had a bad meal in this town. The South Yarra area is wonderful for food (its a 5 minute train ride from Melbourne Central). Chinois, Harveys, Haggars, Cafe Grossi are all great Chinois is my favorite. Those are nicer (more expensive) but there are many great less expensive, more casual eateries in the Toorak/Chapel St. area. There's great shopping there too. Haven't eaten much in downtown Melbourne - try Il Bacaro or Robertos. The Southgate area is also a newer area with restaturants on the river.

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 12:40 AM
Michelle

<BR>Hi Jim <BR>Michelle here again - I will second the vote for Chinois in Melbourne - last time I was in Melbourne I went there and REALLY enjoyed it.

Old Oct 15th, 1998, 03:33 PM
Peg

Jim, have a great trip to Oz, if you see this before you go, and would like a local resident to show you around Melbourne for a day email me. Peg. <BR>