Reload this Page >

Just Back from 3 Weeks in Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:30 PM
J Madel

We've just returned from 3 weeks in Australia, visiting Sydney, Uluru/Kata Juta, Fremantle, the Margaret River area, Port Douglas/GBR, and Brisbane. If you are planning a trip to Australia soon and would like to receive our impression, please let me know in reply to this message.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 12:10 AM
SY

Hi! I'll be going to Sydney next week and would love your thoughts on what would be a good place to go for a day trip. I've been to Sydney before and to the Hunter Valley so I was thinking of going to the Blue Mountains this time. Is that a bad idea given the weather? What did you enjoy most in/around Sydney?

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:48 AM
Mary Ann

Hi J <BR>We are hoping to go in November to the GBR, Daintree and Sydney. Anything special we should see (other than the norm, opera, rocks, habitats, etc? Did you do a 4wd in the rainforest? Did you do a snorkel trip? Did you bring your own equipment? Thanks for any help.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:41 AM
Elsa

Hi, <BR> <BR>Did you stay in Fremantle or Perth? Also, did you go beyond Margaret River? I think I read someplace that it takes about 3 1/2 hrs. to get there. If you did go beyond there, where to and was it worth the extra drive time? <BR> <BR>Also, where did you stay in Port Douglas? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:29 PM
J Madel

SY--we may have been fortunate, but the weather in Sydney in mid-July was fantastic. We thought about the Blue Mountains, but did not go because of concerns that the weather there was iffy. I think it's a day-by-day thing this time of year, but if the forecast is good for the particular day you want to go I would certainly try it. We enjoyed the Olympics site at Homebush Bay, but were surprised that most of the specific venues (e.g., the swim center) were closed to prepare for the Olympics. Still if you want to do it the Stadium Australia (where the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field events will be) tour was enjoyable. The ride to Homebush up the Parramatta on the River Cat was also very nice. We had a great day out a Manly Beach/Shelly Beach Cove, liked the standard ferry trip and lunch at Doyle's on the Beach at Watson's Bay and hike around North Head afterward, and also thought the bridge climb was spectacular if you haven't done that.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:53 PM
J Madel

Mary Ann---re Sydney, see my reply to SY above. We did a one day 4wd trip to Daintree/Cape Tribulation with David Sperling with Wet Tropics which we enjoyed, but thought was somewhat anti-climatic after a spectacular trip to the reef on Wavelength, which runs a small boat (25-30 persons, snorkeling only) to 3 separate locations on the reef. Wavelength supplied all the equipment (except towels) including wetsuits (we did not use them--the water was cool but not cold) and prescription snorkeling masks. <BR> <BR>Elsa---We stayed in Fremantle at the Harbor Quest Apartments which were very nice, although the Esplanade Hotel is a little bit more centrally located if you prefer a hotel. Fremantle was very enjoyable for the short time we had, and we did not go into Perth. Our friends from Perth said we made the right decision if we had to choose between the two. Highlights in Fremantle were eating/browsing on South Terrace street, the market (which is on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) with incredible produce and food booths, and the night flashlight guided tour of Fremantle Prison. Rottnest Island was highly recommended but we ruled it out because of the the high winds and squalls while we were there. <BR> <BR>The Margaret River area is 3 and 1/2 hours south of Perth. We did go beyond there and went caving at Giants Cave, which was great because it was not a typical "tourist" cave and you have to have flashlights and hardhats which they will supply, and drove to Augusta and Cape Leeuwin, the spectacular part of the coast where the Southern and Indian Oceans meet, (not to mention the excellent wineries in the area). We wanted to go to the high tree walk at Walpole which was highly recommended by our friends, but ran out of time. <BR> <BR>In Port Douglas we stayed at the Radisson Reef, which I would not recommend unless you have kids (the pool is great for kids) or a special deal there. I think a better option would be an apartment in Port Douglas on or near Four Mile Beach, so you can access the beach and walk to the town center, where a lot of the action (such as it is)takes place.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 06:56 AM
Shannon

We're thinking of going to Port Douglas in September. Did you SCUBA at GBR? Where did you depart from and who did you go with? Did you try a rainforest tour? We still do not have accommodations but were looking at Marae in Shannondale. Do you know how far that is from Port Douglas? Thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Mary Beth

J- <BR>What timing. We are in the midst of planning our trip over christmas. We were planning to visit Cairns/Port Douglas, Sydney Melbourne. <BR> <BR>We would love to have your input or tips on places to/not to visit and lodge. Thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:10 PM
J Madel

That time of year will be pretty warm in much of Australia. You will probably want to check out the climatological data at www.bom.gov.au, the official site of the Australian Bureau of Meterology. <BR> <BR>Port Douglas is, I think, definitely preferable to Cairns as a place to stay. The reef was such a highlight we seriously considered taking a second trip out another day just to get more of it. <BR> <BR>The Kuranda Skyrail near Cairns was interesting and worthwhile, but Kuranda itself was a big disappointment---way too touristy. The train down the mountain from Kuranda back to Cairns was okay, but I wouldn't take the time to do it if you are short on time. <BR> <BR>There are plenty of highlights in Sydney---the Opera House, the Harbor Bridge climb, Darling Harbor and the Aquarium, restaurants galore, the River Cat to the Olympics site at Homebush Bay, but we especially enjoyed taking the ferry and eating in and walking around several beach communities---Watson's Bay, Manly/Shelly Beach, and Bondi. Christmas may be a good time to try the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley as day trips from Sydney, too.