Reload this Page >

South Island - How best to get from here and there

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 05:27 PM
dave

Going to South Island in November. What's the best way to do the following stops; drive fly, or skip a destination? Everything seems far way from eachother. <BR> <BR>Queenstown - 3 days <BR>Millford Sound - 2 days <BR>Glaciers - 2 days <BR>Abel Tasman/Nelson - 4 days <BR> <BR>Please advise; drive, fly, etc?

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:07 AM
Graeme

Dave,I think the best thing would be to drive.Lets say you arrive at Chritchurch.Nelson is a nice days drive.Nelson to The Glaciers is another interesting drive,about 250 miles.Glaciers to Queenstown is about the same distance.Queenstown to Milford Sound is also alovely one day drive.Bear in mind you will be driving through beautiful scenery wtth few cars and few people.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:33 PM
Elsa

Graeme, <BR> <BR>Is it worth going to Dunedin? If so, can it be done as a day trip from Queenstown? <BR> <BR>How about Invercargill? I think that's where Fiordland is. Are the flies that bad? Maybe Milford Sound is also in Fiordland, therefore making a trip to Invercargill unnecessary - if one has time constraints. <BR> <BR>Also, where might you suggest staying around Franz Joseph? From what I've been reading there doesn't seem to be much/anything. The one place I did read about was accomodations in Mt. Cook, but from what someone wrote on the FORUM it seems Mt. Cook isn't worth the time going to. Could you take the Trans Alpine Train from CHCH, get off in Arthur's Pass, rent a car, and then drive to Franz Joseph? From what I read, there is a 5 hr. wait for the train back to CHCH. if you disembark the train in Arthur's Pass. <BR> <BR>Can you drive from the Franz Joseph area to Milford Sound in a day, and then to Queenstown? Not that I want to rush that, but it doesn't seem like there are accomodations around Milford Sound either --- unless you're a back packer. <BR>As one lady on the FORUM wrote once, "The closest I want to get to back packing would be on a cot in the lobby of the Ritz." I'm not quite that bad, but almost. <BR> <BR>I know I've asked a lot of questions, and I thank you for any input you might have, and for your time in responding. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Elsa <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 02:26 PM
Graeme

Elsa,Dunedin is a lovely old Victorian city where my wife was born so I can only say good things about it.Invercargill can be safely missed.Yes the mosquitos are big but Milford Sound is definitely worth the trouble.Franz Joesph to Milford Sound would be too much in one day.You would probably break the journey in Queenstown.There isnt much choice at either Franz or Milford in accomodation.You have to choose from the few choices.Both are small remote places but do go.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 02:37 PM
Graeme

Elsa,more answers.There is a good hotel at Milford.Probably a logical itinery would be arrive Christchurch.CHCH to Greymouth to Franz Joesph to Queenstown(2nights) to Milford Sound to Dunedin to Christchurch.

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Jo

Dave, do see Dunedin, don't bother with Invercargill. Best way to see Milford is by day-trip from Queenstown (either fly or coach, but bear in mind it's five hours by road each way). The only accommodation in Milford is on board a boat or in a backpackers hostel, so Te Anau is the nearest town with hotels. <BR>Not sure where you are arriving and departing from, but it would be a good idea to land in Christchurch, drive (app 5 hours)to Dunedin for a night (maybe two nights if you want to see penguins/albatross colony) Then drive (3 hours) to Queenstown, spend three nights there and take in Milford Sound for a day, and/or try to fit in the Dart River Jet boat safari. Drive from Queenstown to Franz Josef (4 hours), then continue up the West Coast to Nelson, stopping along the way at Hokitika for a night if you need to break the journey. <BR>From Nelson, you could spend a night in Blenheim (wineries) then drive back to Christchurch via Kaikoura (whales) for your departure flight. <BR>For accommodation options, take a look at http://www.friars.co.nz or http://www.holdsworth.co.nz - both sites have nation-wide choices with descriptions and photographs, and concentrate more on boutique accommodation than large hotels or budget motels. <BR>Jo

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 04:48 AM
Duck

Elsa, <BR> <BR>We spent 8 days in South Island. If you are driving between Queenstown and Christchurch, you may want to rethink Mt. Cook. We stayed at very nice motel called McKenzie Country Inn in Twizel (look up in guides). Very close to Mt. Cook. We looked at accommodations in Mt. Cook and found them wanting and over priced. <BR> <BR>MY FAVORITE THING IN NZ WAS THE LANDING ON GLACIER - MT. COOK SKI PLANES. MY WIFE'S - SHOTOVER'S DART RIVER SAFARI. Have an incredible trip.