Search

Swimming with Manta Rays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 01:50 PM
Meg

Swimming with Manta Rays

We have been swimming with the stingrays in the Cayman Islands. Now we want to swim with the mantas. I know this can be done in French Polynesia, but does anyone know if you can just swim/snorkel or do you need to be a certified diver? Any info or personal experience appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 06:32 PM
peg

You can just join a day or half day boat trip in the lagoons at both Moorea and Bora Bora in French Polynesia. The water is so shallow where they take you, you don't even need to know how to swim. Of course if you can snorkle you can get a better view. <BR>Peg.

Old Dec 20th, 1998, 05:47 PM
Judy

Meg, <BR> I don't believe you can snorkel with the manta rays, I think they are in much deeper water, you would have to scuba dive. But you can be with the stingrays in about waist deep water. In Bora Bora we took the boat and did the circle island by boat, We got to watch them feed the sharks while you are in the water with them with only a rope between you! Then on the same boat excursion they take you to the stingrays (there were several there..With reguards to the shark feeding..about 4 or 5 showed up)Got some real good pics with those $10 disposable cameras..Buy plenty of them before you leave home cuz if you need one there it will set you back about $40.00. Feel free to email if you like.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 09:32 PM
Louis

It is a matter of luck. I have been snorkeling three times when there have been manta rays about during the past 35 years. The first time was at night at the dock of the Bora Bora Hotel where the light shone down into the water so as to generate a plankton bloom which attracts the mantas. These we small, only two perhaps 10 feet from wing tip to tip. One could get within touching range. The next time was in a similar condition off of the dock of a major hotel in Kona, Hawaii. The third time was during the day while snorkeling out by the underwater crater off of Maui. In this case the manta was large and perhaps about 50 feet deep. Your best chance is at night off of a dock with a bright light shinning into the water. It is exceptional to run into them even while diving. If you can be with them, it is an exceptional experience.

Old Dec 22nd, 1998, 07:56 PM
Bo

Meg, <BR> <BR>On the Micronesian island of Yap (between Guam and Palau), there are suppposed to be bountiful manta's at the Mi'l channel. I've only passed through the island on my way to Palau, but I understand it's nearly a guarnteed manta experience. Check out these sites for more info: <BR>http://www.mantaray.com/ <BR>http://www.batnet.com/seeandsea/moreinfo/yap.html <BR> <BR>It's not French Polynesia, but it most certainly is a get away from the hustle and bustle. <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR> <BR>Bo (diver and former resident of Guam and visitor of many Micronesian islands)