Sugguestions Please on Ayers Rock

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to go to Ayers Rock for 3 days in December. We want to see the Olgas and Ayers Rock at sunset/ sunrise, do a bit of stargazing as well, but still debating whether to go on the tours or just rent a car ourselves and go around.

Has anybody just rented a car and done it all on their own without joining the tours? How was it?

Anybody have reccomendation on any of the tours?

Any comments about the Sound of Silence dinner? The Olgas Valley of the Winds with BBQ Dinner and Stargazing?

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:19 PM

The Discovery Eco tours excursion called Olgas and Dunes was wonderful. We had a fabulous guide, a great sunset location away from the crowds, and a nice hike through the Olgas. It was one of the high points of our trip to the Red Centre. It's a slightly long drive to the Olgas from the hotel area (maybe 45 minutes --- I forget exactly) so it was nice to kick back and let someone else do the driving too, especially since it was dark by the time we returned.

In contrast, our sunset tour of Uluru by Anangu tours was disappointing and I wished we'd done that part on our own.

If you don't want to rent a car but want some personal freedom, a van service called Uluru Express will pick you up on request.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:48 PM

We rented a car in May and did the sights on our own. Sounds of Silence dinner was too expensive at 120 pp. Has had bad reviews on this sight. Do a search. Dinner at Outback BBQ is fun. We were all "rocked out" after 3 days.We stayed at Sails in the Desert-fabulous place and views from our top balcony were lovely. You can see Ayers rock from some rooms on top floor. If you haven't already booked accom we recommend Sails-great room service dinners from their five star restaurant. Check out www.wotif.com.au for accom. Enjoy!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:00 PM
ALF

You should definitely hire your own car and tour about yourself. Take the money you save and spend it on a guided walk around Uluru (e.g. the Mutijulu Walk), and an evening of starwatching at the Ayers Rock Observatory (without the overpriced Sounds of Silence Dinner). Go to Kata Tjuta and hike the Valley of the Winds Trail. Find your own place to watch the rocks glow as the Sun sets/rises.

I would agree that it is fun to grill your own steaks at the Outback Pioneer.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:06 PM

I second going with Discovery Eco-Tours. We took their afternoon Olgas tour and morning Uluru sunrise tour and loved both of them. The advantage of hiring a guide is that you learn so much more about the history of the monoliths, as best you can get if you are not aboriginal.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:23 PM

I just wanted to add that we also took a great Discovery Ecotours excursion in Alice Springs called Eyes in the Dark. Since both tours we took with this company (and the tours alliegator took) were so excellent, I'm quite confident that just about any tour taken with them would be worth it.

We decided not to book the stargazing tour in Uluru (the one at the observatory) and I'm glad we didn't --- it was too cloudy to see the stars both nights we were at Uluru. Fortunately, we did see some stars in Alice Springs later on. But my fantasy of a magnificent night sky in Uluru did not come to pass. Hope you have better luck with your stargazing. Without a guide in Alice Springs, though, there's no way we would have located the Southern Cross constellation on our own. It's quite small, not the Big Dipper type constellation I expected.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM

We hired a car and had a great time. The main advantage is that you can stop anywhere to take photos, not just at the 'popular photo spots.'

Please see my full report here

(http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&start=0)
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I was not at all disappointed by the Anangu Tour, and in fact went back for second one. What an opportunity, going on a tour led by the people who actually own the rock, learning about their culture first-hand.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. All very helpful. I'll try the Discovery Tour for Olgas and hire a car for Ayers Rock.

Hope the flies are as bad...