Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for two week trip to Australia in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Pat

I am planning a two week trip to Australia for sometime in October and am looking for suggested itineraries and don't miss suggestions. I most likely will be flying into Sydney, but am flexible. Thanks for any help.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:30 PM
scurry

<BR>The best tip is to first read the other posts on this message board because there are many ones very similar to yours. <BR> <BR>Then, when you have a general idea of what sounds good, feel free to post more specific questions about certain regions, hotels and etc. <BR> <BR>Also, I personally recommend the Frommer's books on Australia. Have fun!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Leslie

Hi Pat - <BR> <BR>For only 2 weeks, I would suggest something like Sydney/GBR(Cairns/Pt. Douglas)/Outback (I would stay at the Ayers Rock Resort - not in Alice Springs which is 5 hrs drive from main attractions). That would give you about 3 days in each location, plus some travel days. As I'm sure you know, this is a huge country - so flying between cities is really your only option (in 2 weeks). October is a good time of year weatherwise for the whole country. The list of 'don't miss' sites in Australia is endless, but I would think that the above 3 would have to be on anyone's list.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:57 AM
m

We went to Australia last year at around the same time. I did tie my trip to the Olympics so I spent at least two days just at the Olympic venues. We stayed in Manly which is a very nice quiet place where you can enjoy walks on the beach. After Sydney we spent another two days at Heron Island on the Barrier Reef. Then we based ourselves fopr another three days in Brisbane from which we went to the Line Pine Koala Sanctuary and on another day we took a trip out to see the whales. As Leslie said, Australia is a huge country and you do have to factor in your travel time. We did factor in at least a day of travel for each major point so you do lose a lot of time in getting from one point to another.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:50 AM
melissa

hi, how are you? Actually, I and my friend are planning to go to Australia from U.S. (New York) in October too. But, we are planning to stay there for three weeks. let's keep in touch for it is going to be our first time going there. Take care