Search

stranded in Darwin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stranded in Darwin?

I am trying to incorporate a Darwin leg into my Oz trip. Planning on May 22 through 25. I am a little confused about how to get to Kakadu from the Darwin airport... trying to avoid renting a car, but cannot seem to locate bus or transportation options. I understand that it is quite far (200+ km) but it seems like others have done it. Any recommendations are appreciated. (2 adults) Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:08 PM
ALF

McCafferty's Bus Lines will take you from Darwin to Kakadu. Go to this Web link, and click on the NT map:

http://www.mccaffertys.com.au/
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ALF. Checking their website but getting "The system was unable to locate a service..." messages. Leaning towards renting a vehicle and driving it ourselves. Not the first choice, but looks like that is what we may need to do -- plus, then we are not at the mercy of the bus drivers as far as our schedule is concerned.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM
ALF

I just checked, and the Web site listed above works for me. In any event, I think that it is a good choice to rent a car, because then it will be easier for you to get to some of the more isolated parts of Kakadu. Some people take public transportation, then join guided tours, which, in sum, add up to more than just renting your own car.

On the way, check out the giant termite mounds, as well as 'Window on the Wetlands', in Mary River Natnl Park. Also, after you enter Kakadu, you might want to make a stop at the Mamukala Wetlands, where there still ought to be quite a few birds (as The Wet season has only recently ended).
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Hey MortalWombat,
Definately hire a car - for gawd sake dont go on any bus tour. They suck. Kakadu is huge, with lots of choices, you will need time. Hiring a car gives you time. Some of the waterfalls will either stillbe closed or only open to 4WDs or permitted tour operators. So if you MUST see those falls, your going to have tojump in with somebody, almost certainly having to pay for it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:15 AM

Hiring a car is also quite pricey. Seems like some of the rentals only give you 100 free km, which won't take you very far, and the kilometer charge is not cheap. Gas is about $1 / liter (Cdn dollar is about the same as the Aussie dollar.) We ended up taking a tour, and I'm glad we did. I just got back last night and will post a trip report later.