Still need help with this:(

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still need help with this:(

I need to figure out where to spend an extra night that we have to insert somewhere along our itinerary -- the more I read the more I am concerned about driving times and how that will impact where we are staying

It seems that the drive from Wanaka to Franz Josef is longer than I had expected... Someone said up to 6 hrs.. we really don't plan to stop too much along the way but then some say that would be a mistake as there are some beautiful stops

So if we are driving to FJ from wanaka and leave early (7AM) realistically what time would we arrive at FJ figuring there are certain stops we will really want to make.. and how slow the traffic is
if its 6hrs then we would not arrive until mid day so would one full and one half day be enough time there to do it justice?

Also, the next day we are driving to greymouth to catch a mid day train to CC --we have decided to do the train for a number of reasons and have heard what all have said but decided to do this so that is set

I am reading that the drive up to Greymouth is just spectacular and that we will want to stop many times along the way.. I am wondering if 4 hrs will then be enough time or are we better off using that extra day to slowly drive up the coast and then perhaps do the train the next day That was a suggestion someone made and now I am rethinking it..

I am only beginning to get a feeling of how much driving all this takes!! I fear my H is going to shoot me as he does not find driving relaxing at all and misses out on much of the scenery because he has to focus on the road

This is how our itinerary is thus far- I am doing wanaka with Mt cook in between because trying to keep driving days to as little driving as possible at my H's request --
Day 1 Arrive Queenstown (3PM)
Day 2 and 3 Queenstown (P/U car at some point)
Day 4 and 5 Te Anau (will leave early from Queenstown to get to Te Anau so should have two full days in this area
Day 6 drive to Wanaka
Day 7 and Day 8 Mt Cook
Day 9 Back to Wanaka
Day 10 and 11 Fran Joseph/Fox
Day 12 Drive to Greymouth train to Christ Church
Day 13 CC (visiting surrounding area)
Day 14 Half day explore CC and leave 5PM flight

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Arghhh - I just typed and lost a very long response!

Two nights at the glaciers will give you one full day which will do the area justice - you can fit in quite a bit if you plan well. I can't remember when you're traveling, but if its in the summer months, you'll have plenty of daylight on your side.

I don't think the scenery from Franz to Greymouth justifies spending a night along the way, although I do think you'll be hard pressed to get to Greymouth by noon, unless you leave early and really limit your stops.

I've been planning SI itineraries for years and I still struggle with the time allotment on the West Coast...the problem is that there's just not many places to overnight along the way - the only town of any size between Franz and Greymouth is Hokitika, and it's such a short drive from Greymouth that it doesn't really make sense for you to stay there. The other towns are tiny and tinier and don't have much on offer from a tourist perspective.

I still think your itinerary is awkward, although I understand why you're doing it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

I hear you but the most awkward part is the wanaka mt cook wanaka part..anything to keep the H happysince I don;t drive.. I am trying to make it more reasonable for him
the longest day I would guess driving will be from Wanaka to Franz
What on the extra day we insert it after franz go up to Punakaiki and spend the night around there? Then the next day we would not have much of a drive to greymouth...any thoughts on that or is in not that worth it to use up that day and its better spent elsewhere.. we figured 6 hrs to Franz would give us a half day there then full day at Fox on the glacier the next day
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM

That's a pretty good idea actually - not many first time visitors spend much time in Punakaiki, but we spent three nights there once and had no trouble filling our time. There are some lovely walks on offer and of course the main attraction, the Pancake Rocks. If you're not into walking, you might feel a night there isn't a good use of your time, but we really enjoyed it.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

I hear you but see here is the thing.. are there"better" walks in other places we will be where it would be a better use of the extra day.. that is the part we really have to rely on anyone who knows the island as everything sounds great
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 07:10 AM

I don't follow...are you asking if the walks in Punakaiki are better than walks between Franz Josef and Greymouth?