Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Stay where for one (late) night in Christchurch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Leslee

Hi, <BR>We'll be flying into Christchurch around midnight and then leaving the next morning to drive to Queenstown. Any suggestions for a place to stay in or near Christchurch? Our priority is a comfortable bed and perhaps a hot breakfast in the a.m. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, we tried to book the George Hotel (based on a rec.) but they were fully booked.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:12 AM
Michael

Try the Rydges Hotel. We spent three days there had a wonderful time. Their restaurant opens at 6AM for breakfast. <BR>It's about a fifteen minute ride from the airport. If you ahve time you should visit the Antarctic exhibit at the airport. We stayed at the St. Moritz in Queenstown and had a great time.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:51 PM
Leslee

Hi Michael, <BR>Thanks for your advice. I'll look into it. <BR>Leslee

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:25 PM
sonia

Hi <BR> <BR>Not sure what your budget is but I can recomment The Heritage (get a suite, they are the bargain of the century!!!). We stayed there twice and have had friends stay there since - all with rave reviews. It is right in town, great service, lovely rooms. Around NZ$160 per night (£60)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:08 PM
John

Leslee: <BR>Michael is correct about the Rydges. Nice chain of hotels all over New Zealand and Australia. If they're booked however, you might try the Commodore Hotel. About 5 minutes from the CHC airport. <BR>John

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:10 AM
Leslee

Thanks everyone - I'll check into the Heritage as well. The book I have says that it's divided into two buildings: the Old Govt. Bldg and the Heritage Tower. Which "side" did you prefer? I appreciate the feedback. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Kay

for accommodation in NZ, try www.heritageinns.co.nz - I enjoyed Weston House (Chch) (which is right on the river bank)and directly over the road from the George Hotel (which we found pretty ordinary) and also Worcester House is recommended. Heritage Inns are upmarket b&bs.. <BR>in Queenstown have a look at Lakeside Apartments..friends of ours thought they were very good.