Sri Lanka - Beruwela

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 04:11 PM
Andy crowe

Sri Lanka - Beruwela

I'm off to Sri Lanka in February. Can anyone suggest any unusual sights near to Beruwela or local charities/schools worth taking something useful to. If so, what??
Thanks a lot
Andy

Old Jan 5th, 1998, 01:00 AM
Glen

Everything is near everything in Sri Lanka depending on mode of transport. Visit Kandy for culture and beauty of the Hill Country. Must visit either Polunuwarra and Anuradhapura to see truly majestic ancient cities. One really unusual spot is Sigiriya, an ancient fortress built on top of a huge rock out in the bush.THis place was mind blowing logistically speaking, how did they do it????? Very impressive. Let me know if you would more info.

Old Jan 9th, 1998, 01:39 PM
Andy Crowe

Thanks for the info that most things are close by in Sri lanka. I'd certainly like to see all of the sites that you have given. But how easy is it to get around? I understand that driving is a bit hazardous - would you recommend this or some other form. We have pre-booked a hotel in Beruwela so expect to spend most nights at the hotel, with perhaps two or three away. Can you recommend somewhere in Kandy?
Thanks again
Andy

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 11:53 PM
Glen

Hello again. Glad you got the info. I wouldn't be inclined to drive around Sri Lanka. I fyou encounter road blocks or police checks which are very likely it would be best to have a local to talk for you. Not everyone speaks English. I hused a hotel tour desk to hire a car and driver for a few days and travelled around that way. You'll need an airconditioned car unless you are really hardy, it gets very hot in some places. I stayed with a family in Kandy and I am a little out of date with hotel knowledge. One really nice place was the Swiss Hotel that's on top of the mountain overlooking the city. Hotel standards in Lanka are different to those in other asian countries. Some other places I can suggest you visit are Hikkaduwa, a coastal town with a lot of art and craft shops. They sell some very unique pottery pieces and jewellery boxes made out of porcupine quills! Do visit Galle and the Galle Face Hotel which is classically British Raj. I fyou are lucky enough to be invited to a tea plantation to stay please do, the planters and estate managers tend to live a very pleasant life and do things quite stylishly. See tea being picked and how it eventually ends up on the supermarket shelf. Don't be too alarmed at all of the visible security around the country, you must remember that there has been a civil war raging for around 12 years now. I felt reassured that the security was around to protect innocent people. Try some traditional food including Burgher style(not hamburger) a combination of Dutch/Portugese/Indian food. If you like icecream stop by Carnival Icecream Parlour in Colombo which has an amazing variety of flavours and sundaes that will make your eyes bulge! Sri Lanka really does have a lot to offer and is quite beautiful in places, especially the tea country up in the hills. It's a country that I'm sure you wont easily forget. I never have and would love to visit again. If you would like more ravings please let me know!!!!

Old Jan 12th, 1998, 11:57 PM
Glen

One other thing, if you want to take useful things to charities or school children I would suggest children's story books or books on general topics. I'm sure anything would be appreciated.