South Sea Island: Where to go on vacation??

Jun 19th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

South Sea Island: Where to go on vacation??

Were from Canada, living in Australia for the year, and Id like to take my daughter to a beautiful south seas island for a good week during her early October school holidays. (We've already visited alot of Australia...)

What we are looking for:
Me & my wife: gorgeous island and beaches, hopefully with some contact with the locals and their culture
My daughter: great swimming pool and some other kids around that are about her age - 10 years old.
All of us: a place that has some good access to vegetarian food (ouch! - no fish) often places with a good number of Hindu or Chinese/Buddhist immigrants, or loads of tourists, are fine for us.
Budget: not bad, but not too extravagant say on the order of a 4 star or so.
Hopefully ease of access from Australia - direct flight from Sydney.

Any suggestions? The Cook Islands look fantastic, but Im worried about food and finding a place that will keep my daughter happy (any advice??). New Caledonia (we speak French too)? Fiji? (Ive heard a few bad things about it too many tourists). Where else?

Please suggest the place you would go if you were traveling with a 10 year old for just a week or so

Thanks! Tom
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM

we stayed with an 8 and 10 year old at the Shangri-la Fijian. Enjoyed an easy flight, reasonable food, good child facilities. We did a day trip in a small boat up to the waterfalls and visited a traditional village. It can get very busy depending on time of year. If you don't take meal package then you can probably arrange vegetarian meals in the restaurants.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wallos for your suggestion. Fiji does look like the easiest place for us to get to and stay Id just seen such great pictures of the Cook Islands, and Fiji seems so overrun by tourists, that Id hoped to find another place that fits us.

Has anyone been to New Caledonia? Is it overpriced like much of Tahiti, or would it be a good option for us? Any other ideas, people? Thanks! Tom
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM

I was in New Caledonia years ago (without children) and found it terribly expensive. Friends have recently been to Samoa with children and totally loved it. Not as busy as Fiji - Sinalei Reef Resort rings a bell but not 100 % sure.
Jun 29th, 2006, 02:57 PM

I stayed in Samoa at Samoana surf resort. I like surfing but there were all types of people staying here not just surfers. It was really good. remember it is polynesia and a bit isolated and it run on samoan time. plenty of culture as you are a stones throw from traditional villages.
theres a few pictures from here, but its mainly about surfing
http://surfr.blogspot.com/