South Island

Nov 11th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

South Island

My wife and I are travelling to New Zealand for the first time combining work and vacation. We're going for a month my wife is teaching in Dunedin for 3 weeks. We have accomodations setup from our contact at the university. Then we thought we'd spend our weekends and one week traveling the south island via car or van. Should we leave from Dunedin travel around and fly home out of Christchurch? Will it be difficult to find places to stay along the way since it is summertime.? Any suggestions, or helpful hints would be great THanks.
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:06 PM

you might want to try a motorhome (RV) and that way you shold have lots of flexibility. Accomodation should not be a problem at all and you'll have heaps of options for sights to see. Get your contact to help you out and you'll ahve a great trip
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:24 PM

For weekend trips, I'd suggest you explore the Catlins, which are located between Dunedin and Invercargill.

For your week, I'd suggest heading to Queenstown, then traveling up the West Coast, stopping in Fox Glacier or Franz Josef, then taking Arthur's Pass to Christchurch, and leaving from there. The drive from Dunedin to Queenstown takes just over 4 hours.

If you have time, I'd suggest taking a side trip past Greymouth to Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks). This is a relatively short drive from Greymouth and it's an interesting stop.
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:09 PM
ALF

I would take weekend trips to Fiordland (Te Anau & Milford), Invercargill & Stewart Island, Queenstown & Wanaka. That will allow you to spend your week-long trip further north; I'd head to the west coast glaciers via Wanaka. You then have the choice of going over the Southern Alps via Arthur's Pass, or continuing north to Nelson, Blenhem, and Abel Tasman Park. Either way, a great stop would be to go whale watching at Kaikoura.
Nov 12th, 2003, 01:16 AM

Unless you are travelling during the school holidays, the only places that I would book accommodation at would be Queenstown and Christchurch.