SnR's Fabulous Oz Adventure, Sydney and BMS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Fodorites, we just got back from our 23 day trip to Oz and we had a wonderful time with one outstandingly memorable experience after another. To give context, we are a couple in mid-50s, enjoy researching and learning things, and have some health issues that prevented long walking. We used FF miles on Alaska, who partners with Qantas and went first class to get the Sky Beds. Randy thought the seats were too narrow (he sleeps on his back) but I thought they were great (I'm 5'2" and sleep on my side.) But the service was great. We slept so much that we didn't have time to do everything they offer for entertainment. We flew into Sydney at 7:00 AM and the sun was just rising as the pilot took us over the city going north then back again to the airport. It was a magical start to our vacation. We picked up the rental car and drove (thanks for the directions--only one U-turn!) to the Blue Mountains. We were headed to Jenolan Caves, but stopped at Wentworth Falls and The Three Sisters for a view. The road down to the Caves was harrowing; thank God we didn't meet any busses coming up--we just missed them. What a lovely place, though. We also drove out to Kanangra Walls and hiked a bit, seeing wallabies by the mob and had a lovely warm day. The caves were quite interesting. The Caves House was COLD! Old fashioned building, but wonderful, all the same. After 2 nights there we drove to Sydney via Katoomba. Took the gondola down to the valley and the train up. For anyone afraid of heights-DO NOT take the train down! It goes at a 52 degree angle and is quite "thrilling" to say the least. The boardwalk down in the valley was wonderful because I love tree ferns and learning about the gum trees and the different vines, etc. We drove into Sydney as this huge full moon rose--great! However, it was in the traffic, which wasn't fun, but I had a good map and Randy is fine with the right-hand drive. We got to our hotel (Four Points Sheraton Darling Harbour) and found out they had upgraded us to a harbor view, and they had fireworks outside as we we were looking out the window. Just for us, I am sure! We caught the ferry to the zoo the next day (another sunny, fine day) and ate a late lunch at the restaurant there in amongst the trees overlooking the water. We then went to the Aquarium--a top 5 experience for us. Not only was it not crowded at 5ish when we got there (it stays open until 9 pm) but it was wonderful with the overhead tanks. A huge ray swam over me as I entered the passage. Unforgettable. The Great Barrier Reef section was great, and the end part with the classical music was moving, especially with hardly any other people there. Flew to Ayers Rock the next day, but back to Sydney for 3 nights at the end of our trip. I'll stop now since this is so long, but will put the next parts on soon, if people are interested.
Sally and Randy in hot, hot Seattle
reviews: Jenolan Caves House-- comfortable and historic
Four Points Sheraton Darling Harbor--comfortable and convenient, but hotelish
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:19 PM

So far so good! You seemed to have a nice time and thank you so much for sharing the trip so far with us. You don't know what it means to some of us to get a reply, a trip report or at least some recognition that we have helped in some small way in making your holiday more comfortable or enjoyable. I am speaking in general terms here because I know of at least a couple of Sydney-siders who go more than the "extra mile" to see that the information is helpful and will add to someone's experience. Also when you do a trip report it helps others who may be thinking of doing something similiar or perhaps wondering if doing what you did is worth it. Too often we, who live here, see things in a different perspective. I can remember a Scientist and his wife who stayed with me when I had a B&B, the wife was from a strict Lutheran sect in the Mid West of USA and he was from Lab in a well known University in NY State and I don't think had ever been out of the Lab except for meals. The weather was dreadful, cool, windy and the sky grey but he sat on the balcony with his Arctic coat on and his wife chatted to me over some hot soup. I mentioned that it was dreadful weather to be here for a holiday but they both said " Oh no, we are having the most wonderful time, you cannot imagine how enjoyable this is". It turned out that the peace and quiet, the fact that his wife was able to talk to someone who was not on the families " yes, you can hob nob with this person list" and the freedom to play with the wildlife and do nothing was just what they needed - didn't matter if there was a force 10 gale ourside. So you see its different strokes for different folks. Keep up your report, we look forward to the next episode.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Like Liz, I'm enjoying your report and tucking away a lot of your opinions for use for future posters. You actually drove from the heart of the city to the Blue Mountains, is that right? And only one miscalculation? Considering the hopeless state of Sydney's signage, the anmount of temporary detours and roadworks, and the fact that you were driving on the wrong side, I consider this to be a remarkable feat. I usually exhort people not to hire the car until at least Emu Plains -- maybe I will have to stop being so pedantic!

Looking forward to the next instalment -- and hopefully you will pay us a return visit sometime!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Hello There, SnR, Yes more report please: Also, I have never heard of the Kanagra Walls? Did I miss an Alan post?? Sounds like a place we would like to stop by. I will add it tomy list... and one more thing.. can I just mention how GREEN I am that you were able to upgrade your flight.. the thought of 20 hours languishing in those little seats literally makes my blood run cold! Lucky you!!! Sounds like you had a spectacular time.. can't wait for next installment! T
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Dear SnR, Thanks for posting your report . As I recent returnee from a great trip down under I am interested in hearing other peoples ' impressions, experiences and how you enjoyed our Aussie cousins. Please keep it coming. I know this is difficult,; I' m currently stuck in week 3 of 5 on my reports and I've been back 2 months!

Thanks
AndrewDavid
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

More report will be coming soon, but I just have to jump in here and say how wonderful everyone was in Oz. The Aussies are truly friendly and helpful people. We chatted to people from all over and were charmed by people of all ages from all of the states. The people on this forum are indeed very helpful. We planned this trip for 10 months and I hung out here a lot. I got ideas and helpful advice, and hope to give a little back with my reports. We even kept a "to tell Fodor's people" page in our journal! AndrewDavid--Your reports are so entertaining, I hope you can get parts 4 and 5 out soon. We really appreciate you regulars who have helped so many of us have fabulous trips.
Sally and Randy in Seattle
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Please keep the reports coming. We are trying to decide between visiting Australia next July or a second Med. cruise. I have been wanting to go to Australia for so long but we don't have long enough holidays over Dec. I was just wondering about going in their winter. We are from East coast USA and the cold doesn't bother us. My concern is that viewing a place in a cloudy, rainy setting isn't always optimal.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Waverley, winter on Australia's east coast isn't necessarily cloudy or rainy; actually, July is Sydney is often sunny and clear, with cold nights and cool mornings leading into almost-perfect days where the temperature reaches around 20 degrees celsius. Many people from Europe and the USA insist that we don't really know what winter is.

Nonetheless, July isn't by any means the best time to visit Sydney, or, in fact, any ot the "lower half" of Australia (it may well be great for northern Queensland), and, if you have a choice, wait for the in-between months: March-April-May or September-October-November. That would give you a holiday to remember always!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Waverley,

Australia is so vast, there's bound to be somewhere sunny when you want to go. The people are so warm and friendly, the scenery so extraordinary, I'm sure you won't be disappointed whenever you go.

AndrewDavid
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:34 AM

SnR
As the other posters have said - we really appreciate some feedback. Most of us who answer questiions here are locals (unlike the other boards!), and we sometimes find it hard to know what tourists like.
Keep up the good work! We're sick of waiting for AndrewDavid - all he talks about is that bloody dinging Singo - or singing Dingo, or something!

Off to Uluru next week for me! Yay! First time