Reload this Page >

Six wks - East coast (Apr/May-02)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Lauri

Hi <BR>My friend & I are planning approx 6 wks (end of April til Jun); fly into Brisbane, working up coast to Pt Douglas or so, then hoping to fly out of Cairns, back to Vancouver, Canada. Plan to rent campervan for accomm/transportation. Any camping spots,suggestions would be welcome!!

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 01:37 PM
LizF

You may find work on the Gold Coast first which is 50 miles south of Brisbane and if you can, book into the Ashmore Gardens Caravan park - now I am not sure of the exact wording of their name but I do know that this is an award winning park with lots of wonderful attractions and extras. The Gold Coast would probably be the best place to get work on a short-term/ Temp basis and be sure to check out the hinterland which has many, many wonderful areas to camp in and to see. I would then suggest driving out to Roma ( out west) and travelling up from there taking a look at the Carnarvon Gorge area - then to the Saphire field at and near Emerald before turning to head for the coast at Mackay. It's only a short run from there to the Whitsunday Islands - another holiday and tourist area where you may find work. I suggest this way because you would get a feel of the outback/bush and see a wonderful natural attraction ( Carnarvon Gorge) together with many animals, being very careful not to be driving in that area around dusk time because of the kangaroos which are everywhere - not to mention emus too. It also is the same distance to Mackay as going the coastal route. <BR>Just north of Mackay there is a wonderful camping area at Hillsborough National park where you can camp under the trees on the edge of the sand and ocean. Its a wonderful camping area and very cheap and the little wallabies will keep you company as well. <BR>In the Whitsundays there are some nice camping spots at Airley Beach ( I think I have misspelled that. From there you may wish to see many of the off shore Islands and the Barrier reef - you also may wish to take you camping gear over to an uninhabited island and camp there for a few days - doing whatever you wish. Fantastic spot! <BR>Because of your time restriction and the fact that you will want to leave at least 2 weeks for Cairns and PD and the Atherton Tablelands you can pick some special spots from the Whitsundays - Cairns. At Cardwell you can get a boat over to Hinchinbrook Island where they only allow a few people at a time. It is a really beautiful and large island but check what you are able to take. <BR>I won't suggest any particular thing is Cairns and PD other to say that you must see the Daintree area as well. Take a trip to Green Island for a day and snorkle in and around the reef. Also there are many islands around there that are accessable and very good for seeing the reef. <BR> <BR>Have fun and enjoy! <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 11:48 PM
marg

You can check out camping grounds on www.big4.com.au or www.toptourist.com.au <BR>These are the two biggest caravan/camping park chains. Also look for the national park camping grounds - facilities can be fairly basic but they are usually in nice areas. <BR>On the Gold Coast I'd suggest staying at Tallebudgera Creek caravan park - right on the coast in a very pleasant location and with excellent new facilities. <BR>We have done the trip (with a caravan) along the east coast several times. If I can help you with any info, do email me. There are so many delightful places to visit.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:45 AM
Alison

Check out Eungella state park as you head north - it is beautiful and if you are very lucky you may get to see a duck billed platypus! We camped there about 6/7 years ago and loved it

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:11 PM
marg

I agree with Alison about Eungella national park. We visited earlier this year and were thrilled to see platypus at Finch Hatton gorge. Beautiful scenery - only about 80 km out of Mackay. Another great place we found was Cania Gorge national park. About 80 km west of Gladstone, it has nice walks, a spectacular palm grove and lots of animals and birds. Stay at the caravan park (the only accommodation there) and help feed the birds each afternoon - lots of king parrots, lorrikeets, kookaburras, magpies, etc etc. We sat around the fire every evening with kangeroos and bettongs hopping around us.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Liz

Hi Liz,<BR>Things have been so crazy here I forgot I even posted a message!! Thank you so much for your reply and I'll definitely use the info you provided. We're not actually planning to work, just holiday but I'll try to check out the places you mentioned. At this point, I'm still anxiously waiting to book our flight (via Japan Air) and then book the van, etc. Thanks again for your help. If you're ever planning a trip to BC - let me know if I can help!