Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Six Week New Zealand Rough Itinerary - Comments Please!

Nov 29th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

We are in New Zealand from Feb. 23 to April 5 before moving on to Oz and I would really appreciate some feedback about our itinerary.

We are a family of 4 (two adults, 5 & 7 year old girls) and prefer to really explore and get to know a few places really well than to see everything there is to see. So, our itinerary is based on chunks of staying in one place with travel in between. We will do day trips out of our major stops.

Here it goes:

1. Auckland area - 5 days to recover from flight
2. fly to Christchurch -stay 6 days
3. enroute to Dunedin area stay somewhere 1 or 2 nights - suggestions?
4. Dunedin area - 6 days
5. enroute to Te Anau or Queenstown - suggestions?
6. Te Anau area or Queenstown area - 6 days
7. Enroute up to Hokitika/Greymouth area - suggestions?
8. Hokitika/Greymouth - 5 days
9. Enroute to Kaikoura - 1 night, suggestions? do we even need to stop
10. Kaikoura - 5 days
11. fly from Kaikoura or Christchurch if need be to Rotorua
12. Lake Taupa/Rotorua area 6 days
13. Enroute to Far North/Bay of Islands - one or two night stops along the way - suggestions?
14. Back to Auckland to fly to Sydney

Phew, that sounds like a lot and at this point the days probably don't exactly add up but I'm sure it will change.

I'm over by a few days I think so what would you cut down, leave out or exchange? Thanks so much for any advice and suggestions.

Connie
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:44 PM

Just got back a few days ago. Stayed on South Island 1 week and did the loop from Christchurch, Wanaka, Queenstown, TeAnue, Dunedin, Christchurch. Also did 1 week in Oz, Sydney, Atherton and Port Douglas. Wow 6 weeks..This is just my opinion and others will disagree. Although our weather was cold, windy, rainy with only 2 days of sun, I thought it was beautiful scenery but I can't imagine staying there 6 weeks. First off I am not a city person Christchurh is a nice city but unless your really into shopping you could do the City in 2 days. Dunedin you could also do in 2 days easy. Nothing special about that coast line and I wish I would have done the Franz loop instead. 1 week was not enough, although we did see alot. 11 days would have been just right I think. After a while of being wowed by the beautiful lakes and mountains and wild lupines it does get repetitious, and we spent too much time in the car traveling the loop in just 1 week. I would take those extra weeks and do Fiji or some other Island. My overview of New Zealand. Beautiful Scenery, food so so, Queenstown way more touristy than I thought it would be. I have to add that I am from Northern California, only because I have seen similar scenery and beauty here in California and Jackson Hole Wyoming. I don't know where you are from. Maybe I had set my expectations higher than I should have.
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:53 PM

Well. SOund like fun.

1. Don't spend that much time on the West Coast of the south. We did 1 night in Hokitika, 1 in Franz Josef. that is unless you plan on lots of walking. It rains there a lot and there are far more interesting places to spend 5 precious days. (I can say that - grew up in Greymouth). Don't stay in Greymouth. I would recommend Blur Spur Lodge in Hokitika tho. Cheap as hostel , great fun for kids, great scenery.

2. Again I wouldn't spend 5 days in Kaikoura. I am not sure where you are from but we are a little country - I mean you can pretty much walk from one side of our "towns" to the other. Again unless you are tramping.

3. Add in Hawkes Bay - you could easy spend 4 days there.

4. Rotorua is great for kids. As kids we stayed at the Rotorua Thermal Motor Camp - has its own thermal pools and mud pools. I think it has a hostel/homestead thing as well as camping (there are lots of hotels around but I have never stayed in any).

When I was a kid we would try and keep fairly flexible - only planning a few days in advance so that if we (the kids) were bored of a place we kept going. Except for the Easter break and in Queenstown you probably won't have trouble finding accommodation at a few days notice (and hey if you do just drive to the next little town).

Oh those were the days....
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:12 AM

In February we took two friends around New Zealand for six weeks. We had a great time and they enjoyed it.
From a quick look, I think you are spending too much time in cities.
I am in India at present, but if you email me at [email protected] I will be happy to send you our itinerary and/or my diary of the trip.
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Hi, Conny,
What about spending a couple of days in
Wellington? There is a lot to do and see here.
Are you going to see anything around Auckland in the 5 days you are there? Seems to be a lot of time to recover from a flight.
2/3 days would be ample around Hokitika / Greymouth. You can get to Kaikoura in a day from Greymouth but it is a long trip with little ones. 2 days should be enough around that area too.
Hawke's Bay has a lot to offer and I would agree with Wilees to add that in to your itinerary. It will be quite beautiful at that time of the year too.
In the Rotorua/Taupo section do visit Orakei Korako (The Hidden Valley).
Have fun planning your trip.
Dot.
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the comments - keep them coming!

And, yes, when I talk about using a staying in a city for 5 days or so it would mean doing day trips as far into the country and surroundings as is comfortable. I'll have a look into the Hawke's Bay area as well as a few of the others.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me think through things.

Connie