Search

SI NZ Itinerary Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SI NZ Itinerary Review

Hi

I am off to NZ over Xmas and NY for 2 weeks and have left my planning to the last minute, well not quiet, but close enough

We are a young 30's couple, active, love the outdoors, nature and wildlife.

This is my really rough plan. The second half of the plan is really vague apart from our o/n trip on Milford Sound which I have already booked in because it was the only available night at that time of the year.

Dec 21, Sydney > Christchurch - drive to Kaikoura - 1 night

Dec 22, Kaikoura > Nelson - 2 nights. Morning swim with dolphins, drive to Nelson via Blenheim, Queen Charlotte Drive

Dec 23 Nelson > Nelson - Abel Tasman NP

Dec 24 Nelson > Westport - 1 night, late PM Cave Rafting at Charleston

Dec 25 Westport > Greymouth - 1 night, Pancake Rocks, Paparoa NP, Arthurs Pass (side trip)

Dec 26 Greymouth > Fox Glacier - 1 night, Heli Hike

Dec 27 Fox Glacier > Wanaka

Dec 28 Wanaka > Te Anau?

Dec 29 Te Anau?

Dec 30 Te Anau? > Milford Sound, 1 night - over night cruise -(booked)

Dec 31 Milford Sound > Queenstown, is this a good place to spend NYE?

Jan 1 Queenstown?

Jan 2 Queenstown? > Mt Cook

Jan 3 Mt Cook > Christchurch/Akaroa

Jan 4 Akaroa/Christchurch depart 6pm > Sydney, (AM Swim with Hector Dolphins)

I am thinking I want to spend NYE in Queenstown for the atmosphere. Is this a good or bad idea? We are not party animals but don't want to be in bed at midnight cause there is nothing to do either. Has anyone been in QT on NYE - what was it like? Going to QT throws the logical travel order out ... I think I need some serious help

Things I would like to do in the QT and Te Anau area.

Glenorchy / Paradise
Routeburn Walk - Mt Aspiring NP (day walk)
Bungy
Skyline Gondola
Fiordland National Park

Hope someone out there can assist me in pulling this together.

Thanks Molly
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Hi Molly - yours is a very similar itinerary to one we did this past February (except the Abel Tasman part) - it worked well for us - a few comments/questions.

1. Have you booked swimming with dolphins at Kaikoura? They book up fast so I suggest you do that right away. They say the 5:30am excursion is the calmest (although when we went that was sort of moot!) - it's a great experience no matter what the weather is.

We stayed at a lovely B&B above the town with a beautiful view (we don't usually like B&Bs but this was an exception) - here's a link

http://www.endeavourheights.co.nz/

2. Fox Glacier to Wanaka is a good day's drive - Wanaka is a cute town with some terrific restaurants - especially the Mexican one!

3. We stayed 4 nights at Te Anau at the Lakeside Motel - very nice accommodation (but no internet - the two motels next door have wi-fi if that's important)

http://www.lakesideteanau.com/lakeside/location.asp

Italian restaurant is good in Te Anau (Toscana) and the bakery cafes are all good.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Elizabeth, thanks so much for your feedback and suggested accommodation. We have come to enjoy B&B's in recent years ... it's the yummy breakfasts that appeal, and the host are usually friendly too, however sometimes a little too friendly

I should have mentioned that I have booked the swim with dolphins at Kaikoura, the cave rafting at Charlestown and also the helihike at Fox Glacier. Everything at that time of year books up so fast.

I need to get onto booking accommodation this weekend and will look into your suggestions.

Thanks

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Hi Molly!

We're going to have a very similar trip to yours (except that it's only 8 days and we arrive in NZ in January).

Below is the itinerary I'm working on (still in the process of finalizing some of it). I also feel like I've left my planning to the last minute so I've been a little overwhelmed . I've added lodging info, where available, in case you'd find it helpful.

Day 0
Arrive from Sydney into Christchurch - Copthorne Hotel Commodore http://www.commodore.net.nz/ (US$122.35/night)

Day 1
TranzAlpine from Christchurch to Greymouth
Pick up rental car in Greymouth
Drive to Fox Glacier (2 hrs 15 mins)
Overnight in Fox/Franz Josef

Day 2
Heli-hike at Fox (11:50 am, 4 hrs)
Overnight in Fox/Franz Josef

Day 3
Drive to Queenstown (5 hrs 25 mins)
Explore Queenstown
Overnight in Queenstown - Pinewood Lodge http://www.pinewood.co.nz (NZ$100/night)

Day 4
Explore Queenstown
Overnight in Queenstown

Day 5
Drive early morning to Te Anau (2 hrs 25 mins)
Milford Sound cruise, coach pickup/drop off from Te Anau (10:20am - 6pm)
Overnight in Te Anau - Bella Vista Motels http://www.bellavistamotelteanau.co.nz (NZ$110/night)

Day 6
Drive to Manapouri (30 mins)
Real Journeys overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound (12:30pm - 12pm on Day 7)

Day 7
Real Journeys overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound (ends 12pm)
Drive to Te Anau (30 mins)
Te Anau Glowworm Caves (8:15pm - 10:30pm)
Overnight in Te Anau

Day 8
Drive to Queenstown (2 hrs 25 mins)
Explore Queenstown
fly to Sydney 4:30pm

I am still looking for a hotel in Fox Glacier (we're looking at staying in Fox unless the heli hike company we book with leaves from Franz Josef). The ones that were recommended here are already booked up!

Which company did you book your heli hike with?

'Hope that helps!

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jmoy

Your lodging information is most helpful. Actually a friend has booked into Bellavista in January also.

For our helihike, we are booked in with foxguides.co.nz, I am assuming it's the same company as you cause our trip departs at 11:50am also

I have also been finding it hard to secure accommodation in Fox and am now considering the YHA Franz Josef which comes highly recommended from a friend who stayed there recently. They had a private double with ensuite for around NZ$100.

After reading many posts, I am not sure I have done the right thing by doing the overnight on Milford, thinking I should have chosen Doubtful ... ugh ... what made you choose Doubtful over Milford?

Have a lovely trip ...
Cheers
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Hi Molly!

Thanks for the heli-hike company link. I actually haven't booked a trip yet. That 11:50am tour on my itinerary was copied from another fodorite's itinerary (thanks williams44!). That timeslot seems ideal so I've kept in my tentative itinerary - just wasn't sure which company to book! I hope I can still get a reservation.

Thanks too for the headsup on YHA Franz Josef. I'm really hoping to book lodging in Fox but like you, I'm finding it difficult to find availability at our price range! So we may end up in Franz Josef after all.

As for the Doubtful Sound overnight, the decision was made from reading a lot of other posts. Another regular fodorite (mlgb) recommends Milford over Doubtful so you'll probably be okay. Doubtful is also more remote, which sounded like a good choice to me for an overnight to be away from civilization !

Have a great trip too, and enjoy the rest of the planning!

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Hey Molly, I was able to book a studio at Rainforest Motel http://www.rainforestmotel.co.nz/. Good reviews on fodors and tripadvisor. NZ$140/night. Good luck!