Sheraton Port Douglass or Silky Oaks Lodge

Nov 24th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Sheraton Port Douglass or Silky Oaks Lodge

i currently have res for 4 nights at the sheraton but, based on the messages here, am now thinking of spending at least one of those nights at the silky oaks lodge to get the rainforest experience which seems better than doing it from the sheraton. i figured i would still go scuba diving from the sheraton. is this good idea? or should i just stay at one place so i don't have to move around.
Nov 25th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I've never been to either properties, but I have stayed at one of P&O Resorts' other properties, Lizard Isalnd (in the Reef). If Silky Oaks is ANYTHING like Lizard Island, STAY THERE!!! It was expensive, but well worth the money! Enjoy!
Nov 25th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I highly recommend Silky Oaks. (It's much less expensive than Lizard Island.) The treehouses are charming, staff friendly and the rain forest setting is not to be missed. We stayed for four nights, I wish we had longer. It's a place we plan to return to!
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Hi Michaelm - I live in the area and Silky Oaks wins hands down. It's not far from Port Douglas - you'll still be able to get to the reef from silky Oaks with no trouble.
Dec 1st, 2003, 06:50 AM

Spent 3 nights at Silky Oaks 2 weeks ago on my honeymoon.....definately worth the experience. The atmosphere is that of a tropical paradise from the treehouses, to the pool, to the staff and the main lodge. Definately stay there. We loved it.

And moving around isn't worth it... you are close enough to everything from there.
Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:35 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton. Next time, we might do Silky Oaks. The Sheraton has terrific pools, upscale accomodations, and is right on the beach, but it's also a big giant hotel, which is not usually our thing. They do have a workout facilitym, which we like, and you can take the shuttle or walk into town (about 20 min's), which we did for meals, to avoid the hotel restaurants. Come to think of it, next time, we might just stay at a relaxed place right in Port Douglas, itself. Cute, laidback town, right at the beach. Day trips will pick you up form most any property. Have a great time!
Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM

I totally agree with Mosthecat's post about the Sheraton. We stayed there in August and I wrote briefly about our stay in another message thread here. I knew the Sheraton was large, but somehow was not fully prepared for the huge convention atmosphere it had. And it was quite a walk from our villa to breakfast. (We had one of the closer villas too!) But we had a good time and sure enjoyed the pools and lagoons and the nearby beach.

Search this Thread