Sharks at great barrier reef

Oct 22nd, 1998, 10:16 AM
Steven Hamberg

Sharks at great barrier reef

I am planning a trip to Australia for early Spring and am a beginner (12 dives) diver. Of course I want to dive the great barrier reef, but have a question about sharks. Is the area safe from Great Whites? I have been on dives with sharks before but the only way I want to see a great white is with me in a cage! Is there anything to worry about or are they not a problem in this part of Australia? Many thanks in advance

Oct 22nd, 1998, 03:03 PM
Michael

Steven,
You have more chance of your plane falling out of the sky than getting into a confrontation with a shark on the reef. Yes there are sharks around the reef areas but as in any dive situation going with a good crew and taking general care and precaution will see you safe.

Oct 23rd, 1998, 10:57 AM
Steven Hamberg

Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply. That is what I figured but wanted to confirm it.

Oct 27th, 1998, 11:05 AM
Tara

Never saw any Great Whites, but we were attacked by five tiger sharks while diving the Great Barrier Reef near the Whitsundays. Pleased to say there were no deaths, but one of the Australian's was sent to the hospital. Keep your eyes open! And my flights were all pretty safe...

Nov 5th, 1998, 06:13 AM
Neil

I've dived with Great Whites in south Australia (cage certainly vital !) but they're VERY unusual in the north. Lots of sharks around on the reef but mainly very small and docile. The only probem I've ever had was with an Oceanic White Tip getting a bit frisky though I'd agree that Tigers are generally the "worst". Frankly though the risk is less than negligible statistically speaking. Just be grateful at the chance to swim with them (though they say the shark you need to worry about is the one you don't see rather than the one you do).
Have a great time - the diving is fantastic, especially if you get out into the Coral sea