Second Visit OZ Help Please

Aug 26th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Confused!

Second Visit OZ Help Please

We loved:
1. GBR Cruise and Palm Cove
2. Manly- for the beach and the paths and the casual atmosphere with lots of restaurant choices
3. Crunella - for the walking path with restaurants along it
4. Melbourne

We hated:
1. Cairns- the touristyness of it
2. Bondi Beach- the honky-tonk of it.

This trip we are feeling less adventuresome- ie: we drove to Daintree and to the end of the road at Cape Trib, but that's as much driving as we'd like to do. No three day coastal drives - rather be at a cafe than in the car, on a beach where we could swim but also where there's a spot for dinner.

My question: Will we find enough to do if we base at Noosa/Coolum area and maybe take one drive North?

Should we drive Ex Sydney up the coast instead- are there more Crunellas and Manlys to be had on the way?

We are coming in mid-September and are keen to have warm weather and sun.

Do you think New Caledonia is worth the expense if we can just spend three nights there? It looks so pretty.

Too many questions! Help! Thanks! Cheers!

We have a week and change. We are not at all interested in hop-scotching by plane.

Aug 26th, 2002, 08:56 PM
liz

I don't think New Caladonia is worth going to period. It is very expensive and very 3rd rate.
Secondly I would travel north from Sydney as there are some lovely beaches en-route to Northern New South Wales especially if you explore and get off the highway.
There is not a lot going on in the Noosa/Coolum area so if you wanted something to do and a nice place to be then the first idea would be best

Aug 26th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Lucy

I actually think Noosa would be a fantastic place to base yourselves - great beach with a nice boardwalk, beautiful national park with plenty of walking tracks, lots of great shops & restaurants & cute towns you can visit nearby such as Meleny & Eumundi (particularly for their brilliant market on the weekend!). For your drive north - if you had access to a four wheel drive I would recommend Fraser Island - nature at its finest!

Aug 27th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Confused!

Thanks very much- any specific stop-off towns poster #1? And thanks for the Noumea tip- those French islands are always so pricey- I wanted to avoid overpaying!

Aug 27th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Daisy

Confused, I agree with Lucy but have to disagree this time with Liz. There is in fact lots of nice stuff to do in the Noosa/Coolum area. I guess everyone has their preferences; but I certainly think it's a mistake to write it off as "not a lot to do" cos I just don't agree. Anyway, to each his own, right?

And there are indeed lots of lovely beaches between Sydney and the Sunshine Coast. Angourie near Yamba is my favourite - a little off the beaten track but worth finding.

Can't comment on New Caledonia as I haven't been there, but I've heard it's awfully expensive.

Have a great trip! PS I take it when you mention "Crunella" you mean "Cronulla"? Cheers

Aug 27th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Lin

Hello Confused,
Last trip to Oz we visited Sydney, Tassie, Heron Island, stayed with rellies in Brisbabe and rented a unit in Coolum for four weeks. We didn't want to be on the go for our entire holiday as it was a winter escape really. I thought Coolum was a nice little town. We had a great view from our balcony and were content to watch the world go by for a lot of the time. The beach was great for walking. We didn't rent a car as we could take the bus up and down the coast. Visited Noosa quite a bit. Nice holiday atmosphere. Nice park walks. We took a day trip to Fraser Island but wished we'd taken an overnight trip. I wouldn't go again for so long but for a week or two I'd consider it again. We are going again this winter and are thinking of a 'beach' stop on the NSW coast. I'll watch for suggestions here.

Aug 27th, 2002, 03:44 PM
mpoll

The trip from Sydney to Brisbane is a great drive. There are some great coastal towns, but you will have to take some minor diversions to reach the best spots. Travelling north from Sydney, I'd recommend the following sights - Port Stephens, Myall Lakes/Forster, Port Macquarie, South West Rocks, Nambucca Heads, Coffs Harbour, Yamba, Byron Bay, Gold Coast.
If you have the time, there are also some great National parks just inland from the main highway, like those around the NSW/Qld border and inland from Coffs Harbour.

Aug 27th, 2002, 04:18 PM
john

mpoll's summary is a good one. My picks are
Smoky Cape/South West Rocks(stay at the lighthouse b&b)
Yamba/Angourie
Byron and hinterland

If you liked manly and palm cove then Byron's got to be it.If you are scared off by the byron doomsayers here then places close by like Brunswick Heads,Broken Head,Lennox Head and maybe Ballina are good.

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:55 PM
liz

Dear confused: I thought perhaps that if you didn't like Cairns because of its touristy-ness then you would find Noosa much the same, except Noosa is a nicer place than Cairns in my opinion.
However everywhere from Sydney to about the Whitsundays will NOT be warm, not balmy weather and NOT warm enough for swimming.
Yesterday on the Gold Coast it was 19 deg .....cold and the water temp was still cold too. It is supposed to be warmer this weekend but I feel that swimming is not really nice until about mid to late October.
Had you thought about flying on one of the super specials to the Whitsundays and vegging out there? There are some really good specials with airfare and accommodation about at the moment. My post yesterday about *Webjet* would give you some good ideas or just go to www.webjet.com ( don['t know if there is a au on the end though)

Aug 27th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Confused!

Thank you all so much! Naturally I feel even more confused!

Really appreciate your answers and yes, Cronulla- I don't know why I keep calling it Crunella!