Search

Scuba Diving GBR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scuba Diving GBR

We are going to Australia in late MArch '04. Among other things my wife and I would like to dive. I understand GBR is very-very long. What's the best area top scuba? Do you have to take a long boat trip from shore or go to one of the islands for easier access?

Roman
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Heron Island is recognised as being one of the best dive spots for the GBR. it's actually on the reef, so the diving is very easily accessible. if you stay on the mainland you are a long long way from the best diving. Other good resorts for diving are Lizard and Bedarra.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:39 AM
ALF

It is true that the GBR is far from the coast. but there are many dive operators who specialize in zipping you out there on a fast boat for a day of diving. We are lower-budget travelers, and usually don't stay on island resorts, but we took day trips out of Townsville, Airlie Beach (Whitsundays), Cairns, and Port Douglas. Based on those four locations, it seems to me that the better diving sites are further north. The reefs are closer to the coast as you go north, so the boat rides are shorter too.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Roman,
We just got back from 2 weeks in Australia and we're both divers as well. We lugged our equipment there and back. We stayed on Lizard Island and the diving was amazing. I now know why people say you must dive the GBR in your lifetime. There were places they take you too that they swear they only know about. Their dive group was fantastic and very helpful. The diving and snorkeling around the island itself was great too. I did my first night dive with them and we saw lots of great stuff...different types of sharks, octupus, a small ray, lots of fish, etc. I highly recommend it!!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I guess its a choice between mainland or islands, time and money.