Search

Russell Hotel- NOT happy!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Deb

Russell Hotel- NOT happy!

Just wanted to provide some information that is not found anywhere among the recommendations for the Russell Hotel in Sydney (e.g. Fodor's). Yes, it is very well located, but so is the Old Sydney Holiday Inn just down the street (which, as it turns out, had more reasonable rates at the time I was in town). The BIG problem no one mentions is that there is no elevator- there is just one VERY steep, VERY narrow, and winding staircase which you have to lug your bags up just to get to reception. Then, depending on your room location, you may have more stairs to deal with. So, if you have any difficulties walking or are disabled, this is definitely not the place for you. Other complaints, some of the front desk staff are incompetent (they cancelled our shuttle to the airport without our knowledge or intent), and they will not cash out Australian currency traveler's checks. And, our room was noisy (standard complaint). Overall, other than location, this place has nothing going for it (unless old creaky staircase and shabby looking rooms counts as "charm" to you).

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Joyce15

You're right--my Frommers book does not mention anything about the lack of elevators at the Russell Hotel(strange since it did mention that the Harbor Rocks Hotel has no elevator). Thanks for the info.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Alan

Hi, Deb!<BR>I was interested to read your comments, as this is a hotel I often recommend to people because of that great location (and, of course, its "ambience", which, however, was something you didn't like). What you say about the rooms being "shabby" worries me... can you be more specific, as I may have to go quiet on recommending it if the standards there really are so poor. Your comments over the lack of an elevator, however, should be looked at in the light of the fact that the whole building is only three storeys high... you wouldn't have too many stairs to climb, even if you had the top room! I have a two-storey home, and it doesn't have an elevator in it either... so why should I expect one in a hotel that is only about the same height? (Bet my staircase is narrower than theirs!)<BR>The travellers cheque business.... did they give you an alternative, such as the money change office almost across the street? It does seem a bit strange that they wouldn't even accept Australian travellers' cheques... maybe you dealt with the same incompetent that cancelled your shuttle.... perhaps someone on work experience from high school. I agree, this is a bad thing, but it can happen anywhere... last year I turned up with my family at midnight at one of the Disney World resorts, and found that they had also, in error, cancelled our reservations! <BR>You mentioned the Holiday Inn just nearby, and I agree, it's a great location, too. But the difference is that the Holiday Inn is... well, it's a Holiday Inn! It could be anywhere in the world... Dallas, LA, Adelaide. The Russell, you must agree, is uniquely Australian, which is why I recommend it... clearly, though, this kind of experience is not to everyone's taste, just as the Holiday Inns and the Marriotts are not to mine.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Deb

Alan- Regarding the travellers checks, they did tell us of the money exchange, which of course charges you a fee. Other hotels in Australia (e.g. in Sydney, the Furama Central- which we were very pleased with) would change the checks without question or charge. This is just one of the "little things" that make a hotel shine (or fail) in terms of customer service. Regarding the room, the cleanliness was fine, as was the size (but for the rate, it should have been), but the lights were extremely dim, there was limited storage space, and the walls had a very dingy look to them. But, that was not really my issue. The poor service at the front desk was primary, followed by the stairs (and of course I wouldn't expect an elevator in a house,because I don't carry luggage up and down stairs in a house,) but I do expect one in a hotel, or to at least be INFORMED if a hotel does not have one. <BR><BR>If you wish to continue to recommend this place, that is fine, but please let people know of these potential issues before they arrive and are disappointed.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:22 AM
John

Deb:Touche'<BR><BR>Alan:<BR>Your comment regarding the lack of an elevator I find a bit naive. So you don't have an elevator in your home. I'm sure you don't carry your luggage up and down your stairs every day or two either.<BR>As a result of your posting, I'm afraid your credibility as one to be relied on as a travel consultant is in question. You have a tendency to omit features in your recommendations that other travellers consider important.<BR>As one who travels extensively in Oceania, I have had the good fortune to stay at hotels that are "...uniquely Australian" and that have features which are appealing to the traveller. <BR>You make it sound as though "uniquely Australian" accommodations are lacking.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:18 PM
liz

ALL the information about the Russell Hotel can be found on their web sites. As for the cashing of traveller's cheques - it depends on whether you are paying for something or you are just asking the desk in a hotel to *cash* these. Paying for something with traveller's cheques is fine because the merchant will absorb the costs but if you are cashing them just to get money then it would be unfair to expect a small establishment to absorb the costs, large hotel chains do this but not small places. <BR>While we who write and advise people on this site are fallable sometimes because we have not been to a certain place for some time we also give recommendations in good faith. If a person asks where should they stay perhaps it would be a good idea to preface that request with all the requirements, ie want 5 star, want gym, swimming pool, 24hour service etc etc. I happen to know that had the person asked someone to take their bags up to their room it would have been done in a flash. Someone staying at the Russell does not have to lug the luggage up flights of stairs themselves. <BR>Has Deb written or sent a copy of her post to the Management of the Russell? They are on line and I am sure will like to get that feedback.<BR>Alan Jarman does not have to be credible he stands to gain absolutely nothing when he spends time trying to help people. <BR>Let me finally say that on my last trip to the USA May/June of this year I would have given my eye teeth to find a hotel with the location etc and for the cost of the Russell in both Boston and Philly. What I got was something less than 2 star for twice the cost of the Russell. Perhaps before people throw stones on this site they might just see if they themselves live in a glass house.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
liz

Further to my last post and because I am just so MEGA Pis... off with the type of post we had from John who had the gaul to make personal jibes at Alan for his "tendency to omit features in his recommendations" and " he cannot be relied on as a travel consultant". <BR>John of course has *extensively travelled around Oceania* and my bet is that everywhere he has been he has been marked as an Ugly American. The same goes for Deb who insists that she should have been INFORMED that the hotel did or did not have whatever the little precious Deb wanted. Who the bloody hell do you think you are John & Deb, Alan and most of the people who write here on this forum are not paid travel consultants. If someone asks for recommendations and they don't like the hotel or whatever you have to remember that you have to ultimately be responsible for your own decisions but NO in this case lets shoot the messenger, Alan, because it was all his fault that he spent time in trying to help Deb or anyone else. Time that I am sure he could have spent doing something for himself and not an unknown face and for which he gets absolutely NOTHING in return. It's all Alan's fault Deb didn't like the hotel. Please answer this one question - why in hell's name then did Deb continue to stay there?<BR>So far and for the best part this Australian board has not had the ill will and name calling that we see so much on the USA and Europe boards because we, in Australia, don't tend to be inclined that way but after the behaviour of John and Deb then I for one will NOT recommend anything to anyone if this is what we can expect in the future YOU CAN ALL GET YOUR OWN INFORMATION YOURSELVES AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS then if you don't like them you can only blame yourself and John and Deb can just get *stuffed*.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Mina

Liz, I've long since learned that not everyone is appreciative. I don't expect a thank you on this board for anything, but I do think it's nice for someone to send a thanks if you give them help via email. Alas, not everyone does, and I now don't expect it.<BR><BR>My point is I believe that one should post because one wants to help people. Not because s/he expects people to appreciate the advice. Not posting something that someone may find helpful because you feel some people are ungrateful would be chastising all for perceived actions of a few. I love to read lots of people's advice here...and I hope they all keep posting because there are lots of readers here who use the advice and never make themselves known.<BR><BR>And I don't believe people should just plan based on the advice of fodorites either. (if I listened to everyone on this board, I'd be wearing one white sneaker, one dress shoe, with shorts and a linen blazer!) While a lot of the advice is good, I think it should be checked with advice from books, and other sources. It's just better planning, IMHO. <BR><BR>I do agree with Liz that if certain things are important to you, check it out! I don't want to bring a hairdryer with me to Ireland, so I checked if all the B&Bs had some to loan. As far as elevators go, after Europe, I learned that it is DEFINITELY NOT a given in small hotels, and not all of them told me either. I asked one hotel what about their disabled travelers, and they told me that those travelers are usually "savvy enough about their situation to inquire". I'm not sure if that's the smartest hotel business practice, but just shows that not everyone is going to tell you everything.<BR><BR>While we're on the subject, two hotels that I stayed at do not have elevators: Hibiscus Gardens and B&B Sydney Harbour. Fortunately, I followed the advice of many fodorites and packed light!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:22 PM
liz

Mina: I don't expect people to go overboard with thank yous and appreciation and all that stuff - I write on this board because I feel that some people will find that their holiday is more enhanced by my efforts than if I had not made any comments. <BR>What I don't like to see on this board, or any other board, is that after someone has spend time, effort and the best of intentions they get a flea in their ear for their efforts. Not just a flea in their ear as was the case from John and Deb but the "expectation and demands" that Alan should have told them absolutely everything about everything and he was tardy, inconsiderate and now lacks credibility because he did not inform Deb about things that were going to upset her. 1/ She could have gone somewhere else 2/ she could have searched the information herself 3/ she could have emailed the hotel and asked for specific information 4/ John could have just shut up 5/ what does a person expect for something that is rated 3 star? 6/ not Alan nor anyone else is anyone's lacky on this forum and I suppose that *caveat emptor* should be included in every post to infer that perhaps we don't know everything. I just don't like rude, ungrateful and demanding people. It may be the rule on the American Forum to behave like petulant little princesses but it is not the norm in Australia.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Mina

Again, I agree that it is ridiculous for anyone to request that Alan, or anyone else, to disclose all potential issues about a place to readers. What's an issue for one person is not to another. Last I checked, Alan is a person, not a brochure (and even those don't tell you everything!) Posters give their opinions. It is the responsiblity of the reader/traveler to determine whether the poster's opinion would be a good travel choice for them.<BR><BR>If John thinks Alan's credibility is in question, so be it. Anyone who reads this board even a little can easily find that out that Alan posts with the best intentions, and that many have found his advice right on the mark. Alan's past postings are his best defense.<BR><BR>But, my dear Liz, to insist that just because someone was not the politest on a forum posting that he must be an "ugly American" during all his travels is a bit much, with all due respect. In fact, dare I call it "name calling?" ;-)<BR><BR>I hope you take my posts with a grain of salt Liz. As I said before, I know you like the let the arrows fly and land where they may, and most days I'm amused by it. I certainly don't mean to pick on you, but it seems a few of my postings have crossed paths with yours this week. Sadly, most have nothing to do with travel. I need to go back to recommending things like "Stay at Port Douglas over Cairns" or something...........

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:11 PM
lcuy

Liz- I think you are being quite unfair to Deb...She did not even mention Alan or fault the advice of any fodorite in her post. She just "Just wanted to provide some information that is not found anywhere among the recommendations for the Russell Hotel", which I think is quite the right thing to do when you've found a problem at an oft mentioned site. Alan responded quite nicely, and in fact seemed to appreciate her comments. <BR>From this to calling John and Ugly American and Deb "a petulant little princess" is moving beyond disagreement over travel opinions and into personal attacks. Please think about it.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:01 AM
JoJo

Liz, I have been reading some wonderful post from you over the months, however I have to ask what has happened to your posts over the last week. e.g. Staying in Kings Cross & this post.<BR>You have become very very nasty, it looks as though you have to have the last say & you seem to think you are the only one who has the right to have opinions.<BR>Give us all a break & just stick to giving the good advice you are good add giving.... the sarcastic side of your posts are in very very poor taste.( They have been popping up over the years not just the last week.)

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:19 AM
JoJo

I have a friend who will not say at any other place when in Sydney.<BR>He just loves the old world charm of the Russell .<BR>He remembers staying there in his Navy days 30 odd years ago & still says its much the same as then.<BR>Another lot of friends will only stay at B & B's.<BR>I on the other hand would never stay at either of the above.<BR>I like to do as much research as possible before booking.<BR>Peoples recommendations are guides only.<BR>Its each to his own & up to us & us alone to make the final decision.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:49 AM
Lindy

The thing you have to realise about Liz is, (a) she gives excellent advice but (b) she cannot handle it if someone disagrees with her. This is not the first time she's taken things so personally and gotten nasty. Let's all cool it, kay?

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:12 PM
fortune

I am sorry Lindy and Mina but I agree with Liz and when I see you two giving as good information as Alan and Liz do then I may change my mind but as far as I am concerned I am ashamed that Deb and John are my from my country and feel that everyone should owe them. I sure wouldn't give either of them any help in the future with their attitude. Talk about cultural cringe!

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM
beven

I think its Mina who just can't stand not having the last word. I am sure she has the best intentions with her information about places she has been and stayed but it is limited and as for people like Lindy and JoJo may I suggest that they re-read the post from John and see just what was wrong with it. If you can't be bothered checking it then here it is in its completely uncalled for state<BR>"Alan. Your comment regarding the lack of an elevator I find a bit naive. So you don't have an elevator in your home. I'm sure you don't carry your luggage up and down your stairs every day or two either.<BR>As a result of your posting, I'm afraid your credibility as one to be relied on as a travel consultant is in question. You have a tendency to omit features in your recommendations that other travellers consider important". <BR>Then of course there was Deb who added to Alan.<BR>"If you wish to continue to recommend this place, that is fine, but please let people know of these potential issues before they arrive and are disappointed".<BR>I would find these offensive if they were directed to me after I had bothered to make suggestions in the first place and take time out of my busy day to try and help people. <BR>Lindy you must write under a different name because I don't see any posts from you.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:40 PM
Kay

Liz - you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. People are entitled to their opinions - that's what makes this forum so interesting.<BR><BR>Why don't you take a hike?<BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 10:00 PM
Mina

Since I am thought to need to have the last word...<BR><BR>EGAD! =P<BR><BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:47 AM
Gary

I just wish people like Kay would go away from this site. She has just told one of the best writers to take a hike. I have not noticed a lot of consistant and continuous help coming from her, all right there was the odd one here and there but nothing that I would say was out of the ordinery. I for one hope that people like Alan and Liz stay writing as I would not have had such a wonderful time in Australia if it were not for the likes of them, Marg and Aussie. So 'please' from someone who is grateful for all your answers, take no notice of the stupid ingrates and those who would always like to denigrate ( read Kay and Lindy here ) and who by their noticable lack of input do nothing much for this board.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:54 AM
Mary

I second Gary's comments. If you want to be so smart Kay why didn't you say something about the comments from John which were totally out of line? I guess you didn't do that because you think you can hide behind a false email address and go hell for leather at someone who does something for people on this forum probably because they make you feel so inadequate.<BR>Please YOU go Kay and take Lindy, Mina and the other 2 with you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -