Rottnest Island or Exmouth?

Sep 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Rottnest Island or Exmouth?

I've been researching Western Australia, and was thinking of doing a road trip to Exmouth (via Kalbarri/Pinnacles/Shark Bay,etc) which sounds like fun but is $850.

I'll be in Australia for a month, so I have time...I really want to go snorkelling, so I'm wondering if I should not just go to Rottnest Island or if this tour is worth the time/cost??

I'm also going to Sydney for a week, then Perth for a week (to visit friends). Thanks!
Sep 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

By the way, the tour is 7 days (all meals/lodging/transportation included).

I'm a bit worried, since I can hardly find reviews on any boards...guess WA isn't popular!
Sep 30th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Hello again, Celine.

Of course you're hoping to hear from others (you've heard from me before!) but you shouldn't expect too much input re WA in general - and certainly not if your plan is other than to hire a car and visit the SW corner.

Why? Well most folk don't think beyond the tried, tested and, oh yes, the reviewed and mentioned. That would be Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns - the GOR; the Rock maybe; KI too. Tassie coming up fast.

But most people don't have four weeks; and most people don't have Perth as a must do.

If going there is a must, then you have an opportunity most don't.

Sure Rottnest Island is lovely. Easy and cheap to get too. And you can snorkel. But to compare the snorkelling there with what you would see up at Ningaloo is like comparing a mini with a Rolls Royce.

I thought you were up for doing what you wanted to do, and not following the herd; but I also understand your doubts. So why not canvass opinion on a board where there are far more people likely to be doing just that? Try the Thorn Tree.

www.lonelyplanet.com

BTW - $850 for 7 days is a good deal. Have you looked at how much it would cost you to travel that distance on an ordinary bus?

Now I hope there will be an avalanche of replies to your question, but I'm not holding my breathe!!
Sep 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Afterall, you've really helped me plan my trip! (plus you're right, I probably wouldn't have noticed that Exmouth existed if it weren't for you!).

I am indeed interested, and I don't really care about following the herd. I'm just weary of giving $800 to a tour company without ANY reviews on it anywhere on the net (surely someone on the planet has taken these tours, or else how do they stay in business!). I don't doubt for a minute that it's a beautiful area!

It is a good price, but as you know Australia ain't cheap so I'm wondering if I'd be satisfied with just Rottnest and maybe add Melbourne to the mix too. I'll probably go with the tour though, it's a one in a lifetime opportunity!
Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:13 AM

Topping for Celine.

Celine, have you asked on the TT? What you are thinking of doing is more their style.

But if you decide not to, then the SW corner of WA and Rottnest have more than enough to see to occupy 4-5 days. Whether it will cost you less than going up to Exmouth is a moot point.

Wish you luck, as before.